SQL Server 2008 R2 - Database Projects RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I had SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 R2 installed side by side on my local machine. I was trying to create database projects using SSMS 2008 R2. It allows to create new project but never shows up in Solutiion Explorer of SSMS 2008 R2.

It creates a project file on local machine using SSMS 2008 R2 which I can open on a different server with just SQL Server 2008 R2 installed right from beginning.

I have now completely uninstalled SQL Server 2005 from local machine but still not able to see those projects in SSMS 2008 R2. This I have done following a suggestion in an earlier post as having both 2005 and 2008 R2 can result into conflicts.

I don't know what else can be done. I have restarted machine after uninstall of SQL Server 2005. I have exact same version of SQL Server 2008 R2 installed on my machine when compared to the server on which I can create and see the projects in SSMS 2008 R2 Solution explorer.

Thanks, Pulkit Ojha Microsoft Business Intelligence Developer

Thursday, July 21, 2011 4:03 PM

Answers

• Thanks Stephanie for your response.

I managed to get it working. I had to reinstall VS 2005 and then installed just BIDS 2005.

Because after removing SQL Server 2005 and installing just BIDS 2005, I could open the packages but was not able to open the script component and package configurations.

• Marked as answer by Pulkit Ojha Monday, August 8, 2011 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Pulkit Ojha,

Can the project be exhibited by Add - Exisiting Project in Solution Explorer on SQL Server Management Studio? Are the projects created after uninstalled SQL Server 2005? Is there any error message in SQL Server Logs?

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Monday, July 25, 2011 8:51 AM
  • Hello Stephanie,

It is now working. I had to repair the existing SQL Server 2008 R2 installation after removing SQL Server 2005 installation.

But I have another question. I now want to have SQL Server 2008 R2 (complete SQL Server suite) and have BIDS 2005.

I am trying to do this because our database server is 2008 but our packages are still 2005. So in order to do development I would still require BIDS for editing and creating 2005 packages even though the data source for the packages are SQL 2008 databases. I hope I am not confusing.

So the question is, can just BIDS 2005 be installed? I tried doing that but have failed twice.

Any suggestions Stephanie?

Monday, July 25, 2011 9:12 AM
  • Hi Pulkit Ojha,

Is there any error message during the installation?

Since you have using SQL Server 2008 R2, you can upgrade the SQL Server 2005 SSIS packages to SQL Server 2008 R2 by the SSIS Package Upgrade Wizard. After the upgrade, you can manage the SSIS packages with BIDS 2008 R2. Note that once the package is upgraded to SQL Server 2008 R2, it is unable to convert the package back to SQL Server 2005 and to open it with BIDS 2005.

For more information: How to: Upgrade Integration Services Packages Using the SSIS Package Upgrade Wizard.

Best Regards,
    Stephanie Lv

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Saturday, July 30, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Thanks Stephanie for your response.

I managed to get it working. I had to reinstall VS 2005 and then installed just BIDS 2005.

Because after removing SQL Server 2005 and installing just BIDS 2005, I could open the packages but was not able to open the script component and package configurations.

• Marked as answer by Pulkit Ojha Monday, August 8, 2011 9:01 AM
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 1:55 PM