What would a C# programmer used to Build an app that manages streaming Audio? RRS feed

• Question

• What would a C# programmer used to Build an app that manages streaming Audio?

I have an application that I created in VB6 and subsequent versions of .net that fills a need for me.  I have been running into trouble expanding my app to the next level.  I would like to manually and programmatically control Volume, Mute, and Start/Stop of playback of sound streams from a variety of sources:  WMA, MP3, Web, TV tuner and Windows to name a few.  The problem that I have had in managing two or more sources, is that one seems to take exclusive control over the master volume. In Windows 7 I was working on using XNA, but have realized that in Windows 8 / Metro, that would be a short term only path.  I would prefer to work in managed code, with that said my question is, what programming technology would you suggest I use to read data from these types of sources and manage these streams for playback? 

Thanks for your direction?

Saturday, June 16, 2012 5:26 PM

Answers

• Windows itself handles management of this for Metro style applications, they themselves cannot interfere with audio from other applications. If you have some need to do so, then you'd be best off sticking to desktop application development using whatever technologies you are currently using.
    • Marked as answer by Spyder2000 Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:22 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• Windows itself handles management of this for Metro style applications, they themselves cannot interfere with audio from other applications. If you have some need to do so, then you'd be best off sticking to desktop application development using whatever technologies you are currently using.
    • Marked as answer by Spyder2000 Thursday, July 12, 2012 12:22 PM
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Hello Spyder2000,

If the data is located on a remote server what streaming protocol are you trying to target? Out of the box the MediaElement control supports HTTP, Microsoft's HTTP streaming and RTSP. Smooth Streaming is supported by the SMRF control for Metro. You can also drop down to the lower levels and create your own media source to support your custom streaming protocol. However you must write your custom source in C++ Cx. Maybe if you offer some additional detail about what you are trying to I can help you to narrow down your options.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows Media SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:17 PM
  • Thanks guys, essentially I want to create a multimedia control panel where I can instantiate any and all sources of audio / video an within my application.  Because I spin up the audio, video or other, I should be able to control every aspect of each stream.  Thus my question is, what managed code technology would appear to last for a while (not be retired) and give me the ability to prohibit one source from taking exclusive control over volume and still allow me to control volume for each independently, as well as start, stop, pause, and resume functions for each source?

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:31 PM
  • anything?

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:01 PM