none
Force links to open from document library location instead of downloading? RRS feed

• Question

• I have created links on my SharePoint site that point to Word or Excel documents that sit in a document library on my SharePoint site. Using Internet Explorer, when clicking on the link, it downloads the file instead of opening it from the document library location. Can I force it to open instead of download?

• Edited by radbirdz Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:41 PM
    Wednesday, October 9, 2019 11:55 PM

Answers

• Hi radbirdz,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment, I add the links which point to word or excel documents in the page, it will open the document in the office client application when I click the links in the page.

You could check if you have configured the opening document behavior in the advanced settings in the library settings.

And you also could check if the office application has installed in the current server which you click the links.

If the office application is not installed the current server, when you click the links, it will download the documents by default.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by radbirdz Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:44 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:13 AM

All replies

• Please refer the snapshot.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Learn Microsoft 365 from Microsoft DOCs now!
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 1:22 AM
  • Hi radbirdz,

Per my test in my SharePoint 2013 environment, I add the links which point to word or excel documents in the page, it will open the document in the office client application when I click the links in the page.

You could check if you have configured the opening document behavior in the advanced settings in the library settings.

And you also could check if the office application has installed in the current server which you click the links.

If the office application is not installed the current server, when you click the links, it will download the documents by default.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by radbirdz Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:44 PM
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:13 AM
  • Hi radbirdz,

It is typically based on the browser that what you are using.

If it's a internet explorer then the document will be open using the office client application otherwise it will get download example chrome.

if you install office web app in your sharepoint farm then the document will be open directly irrespective of the browser.

Thanks

Sathees Ramanathan

Please mark as answer if this helps you.

Thursday, October 10, 2019 5:51 AM
  • Configuring the opening document behavior in advanced settings works when opening documents in a document library, but it doesn't work if linking to a document, such as creating a hyperlink or using the links app. 
    Thursday, October 10, 2019 12:43 PM
  • Hi radbirdz,

To troubleshoot the issue, you could create a new page and add the links in the new page to check if the same issue will occur.

And you also could create a new document library and upload the document into the new document library. Then create a new page and add the link to the document in the new document library to check if the same issue will occur.

Best regards,

Sara Fan

Friday, October 11, 2019 1:14 AM