Check for another application

Question

• Hi,

I already asked this question on another forum, but it's maybe better here.

Could anybody please give me a way, from my developped app, to check if another third party application is already installed on the client smartphone?

Any help would be very helpfull!

Thanks in advance,

Alph.

Monday, April 28, 2014 7:04 PM

Answers

• Please don't post the same question on multiple forums.

Windows Store apps are isolated and stand-alone. They cannot directly launch other apps.

You can include the link to the other app in the store (see Linking to your app ) and the store will handle the installed vs. not-installed case appropriately.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Alph0nse Monday, April 28, 2014 9:23 PM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:13 PM
    Owner

All replies

• This is not possible. Windows Store apps cannot directly interact with or launch other apps.

What is the scenario you need this for? If you are trying to launch a file you can suggest an app to be installed if there isn't already a handler defined. See How to launch the default app for a file

--Rob

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:15 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks for your answer.

In fact, we are some developpers dispatched in several countries. The goal would be to launch a direct download link to the app store application pages of our collegues. Once the application has been downloaded/installed, we would like the link inside our application to become the executable icon, so that we can directly launch the third party app. We are finishing developpment on Android and I am looking for faisability on Win mobile8, but as I understand it's not possible :(

Sorry my English is not perfect : I usually speak french

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:31 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

In fact, we are some developpers dispatched in several countries. The goal would be to launch a direct download link to the app store application pages of our collegues. Once the application has been downloaded/installed, we would like the link inside our application to become the executable icon, so that we can directly launch the third party app. We are finishing developpment on Android and I am looking for faisability on Win mobile8, but as I understand it's not possible :(

Sorry my English is not perfect : I usually speak french

(in fact the post is already open in another forum, but as it's my first time here, I am a bit lost)

Monday, April 28, 2014 8:57 PM
  • Please don't post the same question on multiple forums.

Windows Store apps are isolated and stand-alone. They cannot directly launch other apps.

You can include the link to the other app in the store (see Linking to your app ) and the store will handle the installed vs. not-installed case appropriately.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Alph0nse Monday, April 28, 2014 9:23 PM
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:13 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks
    Monday, April 28, 2014 9:23 PM