none
Windows CE 6 cold and warm reboot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using Symbol/Motorola MC3190 and startupctl from Motorola. I need to know how the StartUpCtl can detect if the device has made a cold or a warm boot. I've searched in the registry but I found nothing.

Any ideas ?

Thanks.

Fabien.

• Edited by alazeub Monday, May 6, 2013 2:40 PM
    Monday, May 6, 2013 2:39 PM

Answers

• Fabien

This forum supports Platform Builder users who are porting Windows Compact to custom hardware.  Your question is specific to your Motorola device.  To get answers about a custom device you will probable do better by contacting the OEM, Motorola, directly.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

• Marked as answer by alazeub Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:19 AM

All replies

• There exist a function in the OAL that can return this info (not sure if it is available on all BSPs though)

BOOL *bColdBootFlag = (BOOL*) OALArgsQuery(OAL_ARGS_QUERY_COLDBOOT);

All you need to add is a new custom Kernel IoControl that can return this info to your driver/app.

Monday, May 6, 2013 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

Ok, the goal is to make the StartUpCtl believe that the device last boot was a cold boot in order to use the OnRestore config. The package builder that I use can only copy files and merge registry keys, I don't think that it can write in the OAL.

Is anyone know an easiest way to do that ? I'm wondering a registry key that indicate this information.

Many thanks.

Fabien.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Certain processors provide register access to know the last boot state (Cold or warm) eg TI's AM335x

Check if your processor provides that information about the last boot state.

In WinCE you can read this in the kernel level and pass it to the user.

--- Misbah

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 10:21 AM
  • Fabien

This forum supports Platform Builder users who are porting Windows Compact to custom hardware.  Your question is specific to your Motorola device.  To get answers about a custom device you will probable do better by contacting the OEM, Motorola, directly.

Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com

• Marked as answer by alazeub Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:19 AM
  • Ok, I'll check with motorola.

Thanks for your help.

Fabien.

Tuesday, May 7, 2013 11:56 AM