[newbie] webbased AD tool [c# asp.net4 vs2010 sqlserver ldap] RRS feed

• Question

• User-1381830937 posted

hello,

Greetings for the day!

Can anyone suggest me

what exactly i need to know about in particular for a project like :  website based tool to maintain domains or AD ..
    Im newbie in this context.

I do know only terms like

directoryentry,directorysearcher etc etc..

If i want to make that kind of web based tool... what exactly i need to target...? Seen many threads  here targetting n pulling users groups OUs etc etc

Where we can find a place where we can create add remove etc etc kind of operations on AD using C# asp.net4 VS2010?

as there is no how do I videos on these kind of topics.. plz help me in anyway to explore on this kind of project.

Monday, August 20, 2012 6:42 PM

Answers

• User1779161005 posted

Here's a sample project that might get you started with the AD APIs. It's not a complete solution for what you'relooking for, though.

http://sdrv.ms/MZBM3u

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 8:03 PM
  • User1779161005 posted

Yes, you are correct. There are the older and lowel level APIs. And then in the sample I provided those are the newer higher level APIs. The APIs I used are around account management. I don't know if they provide all the functionality you need, but from the higher level APIs you can get at the lower level ones (in one of my samples I do that. I forget which).

HTH

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:17 PM

All replies

• User1779161005 posted

Here's a sample project that might get you started with the AD APIs. It's not a complete solution for what you'relooking for, though.

http://sdrv.ms/MZBM3u

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:03 PM
  • User-1381830937 posted

Hello Brock Allen.

Thanks for your quick reply(link)

Till now have seen some code or terms like Directory Entry/Searcher and now with in your link there it have  PrincipalContext GroupPrincipal...

Confusion...

What exactly needs to follow... we have to connect to AD first... Is it right? So according to the link given by you it seems there are 2 ways to connect? sorry if it is a pretty dumb question.

Please clarify.

kindest regards

Karthik

Monday, August 20, 2012 8:49 PM
  • User1779161005 posted

Yes, you are correct. There are the older and lowel level APIs. And then in the sample I provided those are the newer higher level APIs. The APIs I used are around account management. I don't know if they provide all the functionality you need, but from the higher level APIs you can get at the lower level ones (in one of my samples I do that. I forget which).

HTH

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:17 PM
  • User-1381830937 posted

Thank You for clearing my doubt at primary level. It will help me to go through some articles in and around.

So it will be useful if i do some research on classes available in System.DirectoryServices.AccountManagement Namespace?

Actually, my project is to make a web based tool to maintain Active Directory. So my basic doubts are as follows:

* As we target AD under Windows 2003/2008, is it necessary to add users groups resources available in a domain for a company again through coding or we can use these classes and populate with our requirements?

* Whatever we do on AD Management.. we use only to find user/group ( authentication and authorization) right?

* finally replication issue

Like this.. do we have any workflow for freshers like me who can understand to design these kind of website tools to make it easier? or atleast to know how to followup and how to move on from the beginner level?

Please suggest

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:27 PM
  • User1779161005 posted

Unfortunately I shared all I have on AD APIs :)

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:48 PM
  • User-1381830937 posted

However Thanks alot for your link.

Will look into articles and will be back with few more doubts ;)

Thanks again.
    Have a great day ahead.

Regards

Karthik

Monday, August 20, 2012 9:52 PM