none
How to change the order of loading add-ins RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using 3 add-ins, let say A1, A2, & A3. From time to time I have to uninstall/reinstall A1 to activate an updated version. No issue with that at all, the only thing that annoys me a bit is that the tab sequence becomes A2, A3, A1 where I prefer to keep it A1, A2, ...

I think it can be set in the registry: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Excel\Options, Open sequences but what ever I try, A2 becomes always OPEN even after changing the sequence.

More detailed:

I changed OPEN (A2) to OPEN100, changed A1 (OPEN5) to OPEN and A2 to OPEN5. But it revers back to OPEN for A2. Any idea?

Kind regards,

JP

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hello JP,

Microsoft Office applications (nor VSTO) don't provide any property or setting to set the order of loading COM add-ins. Instead, you may try to play with a ProgID of your add-in (a COM class name). ProgIDs are automatically generated for a class by combining the namespace with the type name. This can produce an invalid ProgID however, as ProgIDs are limited to 39 characters and can contain no punctuation other than a period. In such case, a ProgID can be manually assigned to the class using ProgIdAttribute.

But based on the experience of dealing with add-ins, Outlook loads add-ins in the alphabetical order of their ProgIDs. The events are fired in the reverse order. I'd suggest checking this out because the order is not declared anywhere.

profile for Eugene Astafiev at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

• Marked as answer by JP Ronse Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:55 AM
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 3:53 PM