How would you search? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.

I have a site in wich content from more than 300 documents will be copied and published in html format, on one page. How would you go forward, or what kind of search would you use, to search and show a search result that is easy to understand?

Regards

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:25 AM

Answers

• Hi WSG,

I'm not sure I understand your problem.  Are these documents going to be uploaded to a document library?  Or published using the CMS in MOSS?

Either way, the WSS/MOSS Indexer should have no problem crawling these documents and indexing them for the out of the box search inside of SharePoint.  Is that tool not an option?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi WSG,

I'm not sure I understand your problem.  Are these documents going to be uploaded to a document library?  Or published using the CMS in MOSS?

Either way, the WSS/MOSS Indexer should have no problem crawling these documents and indexing them for the out of the box search inside of SharePoint.  Is that tool not an option?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Hi jmast.

Thanks alot for trying to help Smile

Theese documents wont be uploaded in a document library, but the content from all documents will be copied and pasted in different pages on a site. I am using custom search box on the site, and my problem is that I want this search box to search for content on this site only, but don't know how to tell the search box to search for content on only one site.

I know there is a web part where you can use "this site" as option before searching, but using the drop down isn't an option because the users don't understand how to use the drop down.

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:15 PM
  • I think with the "out of the box" search web parts, you are stuck with using the drop down and defaulting it with a scope of "this site". 

From there we could actually embed some javascript on the page in a Content Editor Web Part that hides or disables the drop down (so users don't have to change the scope that is provided)

-Jonathan
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 7:57 PM
  • Do you know about any such scripts ? :-)

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 9:04 PM
  • Solution: The html documents will need to be crawled via spider and made searchable in a centralized index. There are open source tools like Nutch and commercial products like Microsoft FAST, Autonomy IDOL, Google search application etc. The response from this tools is in XML format and can be rendered using standard UI pattern. Regards, Chirag Shah Search Concepts
    Monday, July 25, 2011 4:37 PM