[UWP]Can Universal Windows Apps run in Windows 7 or earlier versions? RRS feed

• Question

• Can Universal Windows Apps run in Windows 7 or earlier versions?

How should we architect an IT solution to meet current Windows 7/Vista/XP users while also ready for in the future Windows 10 users?

Monday, July 13, 2015 3:34 PM

Answers

• The UWP platform is only available for Windows 10 devices. The best option is to upgrade all those users to Windows 10. Windows XP is fully out of support, so upgrading is the only option here.

Saying anything in general about Windows desktop applications across 15 years of operating systems is very difficult. The answer here depends heavily on the domain of application you are talking about, what development language is being used, project goals, etc.

For specifically the area of C++ Direct3D 11/12 games, I provide some recommendations in this blog post: Dual-use Coding Techniques for Games. Elements of it could be useful for other domains, but those are out of my area of expertise.

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:14 PM
  • >How should we architect an IT solution to meet current Windows 7/Vista/XP users while also ready for in the future Windows 10 users?

Stick with what works for the lowest common denominator (i.e. the
    oldest OS you need to support). Microsoft aren't going to break
    compatibility, so what runs on the old OS should run on the newer ones
    - providing you've stuck by the rules, and don't have things working
    by chance.

Dave

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:40 PM
  •      Hi James,

If I'm not mistaken, a "Store App" cannot run in anything earlier than Windows 7. It could run in Windows 2008... I haven't been able to make it work, though.

On the other hand, a standard "exe" could work in all the platforms you mentioned - just be mindful of the .NET platform you use. However, it cannot be sold in the App Store.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. I have published one game, and it works well on 8, 8.1 and 10. I'm going to continue using these tools, as I don't think everybody will jump to Windows 10 right away.

Best Regards,

Tarh Ik

PS: This posting has been posted "AS IS"

Tarh ik

Sunday, July 19, 2015 3:38 AM

All replies

• The UWP platform is only available for Windows 10 devices. The best option is to upgrade all those users to Windows 10. Windows XP is fully out of support, so upgrading is the only option here.

Saying anything in general about Windows desktop applications across 15 years of operating systems is very difficult. The answer here depends heavily on the domain of application you are talking about, what development language is being used, project goals, etc.

For specifically the area of C++ Direct3D 11/12 games, I provide some recommendations in this blog post: Dual-use Coding Techniques for Games. Elements of it could be useful for other domains, but those are out of my area of expertise.

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:14 PM
  • >How should we architect an IT solution to meet current Windows 7/Vista/XP users while also ready for in the future Windows 10 users?

Stick with what works for the lowest common denominator (i.e. the
    oldest OS you need to support). Microsoft aren't going to break
    compatibility, so what runs on the old OS should run on the newer ones
    - providing you've stuck by the rules, and don't have things working
    by chance.

Dave

Monday, July 13, 2015 4:40 PM
  •      Hi James,

If I'm not mistaken, a "Store App" cannot run in anything earlier than Windows 7. It could run in Windows 2008... I haven't been able to make it work, though.

On the other hand, a standard "exe" could work in all the platforms you mentioned - just be mindful of the .NET platform you use. However, it cannot be sold in the App Store.

I'm using Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. I have published one game, and it works well on 8, 8.1 and 10. I'm going to continue using these tools, as I don't think everybody will jump to Windows 10 right away.

Best Regards,

Tarh Ik

PS: This posting has been posted "AS IS"

Tarh ik

Sunday, July 19, 2015 3:38 AM
  • I know others have answered but if you are concerned about whether an app should be setup in a Universal Windows App, realize that you are saying that your application is only going to ever have one presentation. Your developers' code should be layered so that an application can have different presentation types. So they can develop a Windows Form App and work on preparing a UWP for once machines are upgraded.

Just sayin'. Hope that makes sense.

Thursday, April 7, 2016 1:16 PM