What VS Studio product to use to maintain a WEB SITE (not application) .... RRS feed

• Question

• User-954049702 posted

I am new to the Visual Studio 2013 IDE / Environment...

I have inherited an older (ASP.NET) web site that is currently being maintained using Microsoft Expression Web 4 (which is no longer supported by Microsoft). The test and production web sites are hosted remotely using IIS 7.5

I have a few questions with regard to migrating from Expression Web 4 to Visual Studio 2013:

1. Is there any way to simply copy (FTP/download) the web site from the production server into Visual Studio 2013? i.e.: create a new empty web site in VS 2013 and then copy everything from the production web site. Will this retain “sub-web” folders, etc.? (I doubt it).

2. When using Expression Web 4 to publish pages to IIS – some of the files in Expression Web are marked as “Exclude from Publishing” (because some files like web.config differ depending if publishing to the test or production server). I have not found anything in VS 2013 for an ASP.NET web site project that allows me to set individual files so they are excluded from being copied to a remote web site. Does such functionality even exist? Any insights would be appreciated.

Also, is Visual Studio Express 2013 for Web (http://www.asp.net/vwd) an add-in or a separate product from Visual Studio 2013 Professional??  I currently have Visual Studio 2013 Professional, but do I need Visual Studio Express for Web to maintain this web site?   It is unclear to me if this is a separate product or an add-on to VS Studio -- can someone clarify?

Thanks in Advance

Thursday, July 24, 2014 6:56 PM

Answers

• User465171450 posted

1. Should work. It's generally better to use the source though and you can just copy and paste them into vs from wherever EW has. If I remember correctly when I did this with previous versions of VS it would copy the files for a folder, but not the folder structure so I had to manually create folders and then copy/paste files. I think this has 

Sub-webs is an older term and has to do with the frontpage server extensions. Technically each subweb should be treated as it's own entity and website project since in IIS it is technically isolated into it's own application space. So you will most likely want to create each of these as a website project.

2. Unfortunately no. This is too bad since you can with web application projects, but not with website projects. Normally when publishing I publish to a staging directory on my computer then use FTP to publish up, enabling me to script the FTP process and fully control it if I need to.

3. Visual Studio Express for web is not an add-in. The Express products are free versions of Visual Studio. They tend to be on one particular language or activity, like C# or web and lack the tooling of the Pro and higher tools. If you have Visual Studio Pro or above, the Express products don't do anything for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:45 PM

All replies

• User465171450 posted

1. Should work. It's generally better to use the source though and you can just copy and paste them into vs from wherever EW has. If I remember correctly when I did this with previous versions of VS it would copy the files for a folder, but not the folder structure so I had to manually create folders and then copy/paste files. I think this has 

Sub-webs is an older term and has to do with the frontpage server extensions. Technically each subweb should be treated as it's own entity and website project since in IIS it is technically isolated into it's own application space. So you will most likely want to create each of these as a website project.

2. Unfortunately no. This is too bad since you can with web application projects, but not with website projects. Normally when publishing I publish to a staging directory on my computer then use FTP to publish up, enabling me to script the FTP process and fully control it if I need to.

3. Visual Studio Express for web is not an add-in. The Express products are free versions of Visual Studio. They tend to be on one particular language or activity, like C# or web and lack the tooling of the Pro and higher tools. If you have Visual Studio Pro or above, the Express products don't do anything for you.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:45 PM
  • User-954049702 posted

Thanks markfitzme! -- That clears up a few issues.

I think I will start with an empty ASP.NET web site project and just re-create the directory structure and then take your suggestion and import the *.aspx, *.html, *.css and *.js files from the existing local EW web.

The nice feature of EW is that it kept track of changes made to local files and you could "Publish only changed files" to the remote web server -- I don't see anything like that in VS 2013 -- ???

Who do we contact at Microsoft to get the ability to EXCLUDE copying selected files to a remote server?... as well as keeping track of changed files since the last push to the remote server?

Thanks again

Friday, July 25, 2014 12:08 AM