none
Outlook Crash Dump RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I would like to know if it is possible for Outlook to generate a crash dump when a crash happens in my Outlook COM addin. 

The crash is happening at a costumer's site and we would like to debug it in our labs. 

It seems like I have set to correct properties in the registry as I can see dumps from other applications.

Outlook does not generate one when I reproduce the crash. For example: I inserted a division by 0 upon the OnOpen event which causes the application to crash every time, however Outlook does not generate a dump for this.

I would be glad if anyone can shad information about this issue. 

Thanks!

• Edited by usteinfeld Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:31 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

What properties are you talking about?

See How to collect Outlook Memory Dump in Windows Vista and Windows 7 . Also you may try searching for the Outlook events logged, see Why did Outlook crash? for more information.

[custom.development]

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 2:55 PM
  • >>>I would like to know if it is possible for Outlook to generate a crash dump when a crash happens within an Outlook COM addin. 

According to your description, I suggest that you could disable Outlook Com add-ins, could you reproduced this crash? If not, you re-enable COM add-ins, you may re-introduce instability in Outlook. If Outlook becomes unstable after re-enabling a particular COM add-in, you will want to contact the add-in vendor to see if they have an updated version that is more stable with Outlook.

For more information, click here to How to troubleshoot crashes in Outlook 2010 and later versions

Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:54 AM
  • Hi Eugene. 

I have set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps 
    DumpFolder  to c:\dump
    DumpType to 2

this was taken from https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb787181(v=vs.85).aspx.

Please look at my question again as I added more information.

Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:39 PM
  • Hi David. Sorry for not being clear enough. I edited my question and it now contains more precise information. 
    Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Sunday, April 17, 2016 2:28 PM
    Sunday, April 10, 2016 2:56 PM
  • Hi, usteinfeld

According to your description, you could refer to this helpful link about Capturing a Userdump of Outlook

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:05 AM