none
Superpreview slow

Question

• My superpreview runs very slowly.  It takes a while for a page to preview.  Sometimes it just times out.  What is the deal with the slowness?  What might I do to speed it up?
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:02 AM

All replies

• Is this the free SuperPreview download for Internet Explorer or the SuperPreview that ships with Expression Web 3?  If it's the free download, there will be an updated release soon that will improve the performance a bit.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Is this the free SuperPreview download for Internet Explorer or the SuperPreview that ships with Expression Web 3?  If it's the free download, there will be an updated release soon that will improve the performance a bit.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web
    Paul, 

Thank you for your response.  It is the superpreview that came with my purchase of expression web 3.  Any help would be great.  If it is going to be this slow I just can't use it that often which would be a shame.  It can take over a minute to load the page sometimes, and that is if the page loads at all.  

It is just too long to wait for load times like that. 
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:14 AM
  • Can you give us some information as to the machine you're using, e.g., CPU, amount of memory, video card, and operating system?  Also, if you have a representative site that is particularly slow, can you point us to it, so we can check it out ourselves?  I have a feeling that the answer is going to be that there is little we can do for you but we can at least take a look.

In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please check to see if you have the latest video drivers for your video card.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Can you give us some information as to the machine you're using, e.g., CPU, amount of memory, video card, and operating system?  Also, if you have a representative site that is particularly slow, can you point us to it, so we can check it out ourselves?  I have a feeling that the answer is going to be that there is little we can do for you but we can at least take a look.

In the meantime, if you haven't already done so, please check to see if you have the latest video drivers for your video card.

Paul Bartholomew
    Microsoft Expression Web
    Windows xp service pack 3,  1.75GB of RAM,  AMD Athlon XP processor 2700+.  Lets say there is nothing you can do. How long does it usually take you to show a website through superpreview?  Or how long should it take?  

Thanks again, 

Taylor
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 5:20 AM
  • XP Pro, 2 gb Ram, Core 2 Duo at 1.6 mhz.
    Dual WD 160 GB 7500 rpm drives.
    Paging file on opposite drive from OS.

From the time I click the SP icon until the page is fully displayed is 13 seconds.
    This is after a cold boot with a cleared paging file.

Second time different page takes 9 seconds.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 12:49 PM
  • XP Pro, 2 gb Ram, Core 2 Duo at 1.6 mhz.
    Dual WD 160 GB 7500 rpm drives.
    Paging file on opposite drive from OS.

From the time I click the SP icon until the page is fully displayed is 13 seconds.
    This is after a cold boot with a cleared paging file.

Second time different page takes 9 seconds.

FrontPage MVP
    Steve, 

Have you done anything with the settings to get it to show up that fast.  Best my computer is probably not 1 minute slower on things.  
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:09 PM
  • My guess is that Steve's boost comes from both the dual processor cores and (more importantly), DDR2 RAM running at a much higher speed.

The Athlon 2700 runs on motherboards with very slow bus speeds (166 MHz vs 800 MHz or 1066 MHz on Steve's). SuperPreview is a huge program, so there's a lot of traffic on the bus and within that much slower RAM. The slower bus and SDRAM are the bottlenecks.
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:26 PM
  • My guess is that Steve's boost comes from both the dual processor cores and (more importantly), DDR2 RAM running at a much higher speed.

The Athlon 2700 runs on motherboards with very slow bus speeds (166 MHz vs 800 MHz or 1066 MHz on Steve's). SuperPreview is a huge program, so there's a lot of traffic on the bus and within that much slower RAM. The slower bus and SDRAM are the bottlenecks.
    Well, I guess that is good, in a way.  It is good because it means the program does not suck.  But it is bad because my older computer system runs it slowly.  That is ok though.  
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:38 PM
  • <quote>
    My guess is that Steve's boost comes from both the dual processor cores and (more importantly), DDR2 RAM running at a much higher speed.
    </quote>

Also that the paging file is maintained on a different drive than the operating system.
    That is an old but proven speed booster.

Additionally I keep the temporary internet files cleared.
    How much drive space do you have allowed for temporary internet files and how often do you clear them?

Keep in mind that for every page you open and super preview, that there are multiple copies created.
    At a minimum there will be copies in:
    %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Microsoft Expression Web 3
    and
    %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 5:16 PM
  • Which browsers are you trying to use? (IE6 and Firefox? IE6, IE8, and Firefox? etc)

SuperPreview can be very memory intensive if you are trying to use several browsers at a time - particularly on bigger pages. The bigger the page, the more memory SuperPreview will need to generate the rendering. If you do not have a lot of memory and you have many programs open, this will degrade performance for SuperPreview. Smaller pages do render quicker in SuperPreview.

As for other techniques mentioned here, like clearing Temporary Internet Files - I really don't think that this is going to have a noticeable performance impact for most situations.

Justin
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:13 PM
  • "Keep in mind that for every page you open and super preview, that there are multiple copies created.
    At a minimum there will be copies in:
    %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Microsoft Expression Web 3
    and
    %UserProfile%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

Aaargh!

Please tell me that those folders can be moved! I have all my TemporaryInternetFiles (and temp files for all browsers) on separate partition that's only otherwise used for long-term storage and downloads, in order to reduce fragmentation on my C: drive.

I really hate a lot of stuff clogging up my profiles. I don't even store data on my C: drive--just Windows and programs. And, like you, Steve, I also keep my paging file on a separate drive to keep it from fragmenting (and improve speed).
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:29 PM
  • Bill,
    I do not know if the move folder option in Internet Explorer
    settings will relocate the web temp directory or not.

The only way to find out would be to relocate it, then change a registry setting to allow the user to see the
    *normally hidden* TIF directory.

Which by the way I have made.
    Drives me nuts when the *system* will not let me browse my own machine.

Keep in mind though that modern programs write all kinds of stuff to your user profile directory
    because in Vista and Seven programs can *not* write files to their own root directory.
    FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 7:54 PM
  • Bill,
    I tested it and Temporary Internet Files\Microsoft Expression Web 3 goes whereever you have set IE to maintain the TIF folder.

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 9:38 PM
  • <quote>
    As for other techniques mentioned here, like clearing Temporary Internet Files - I really don't think that this is going to have a noticeable performance impact for most situations.
    </quote>

Justin,
    When EW first hit the streets we had gripes about it slowing down after a period of usage editing image  intensive sites, with the comment that only closing it and restarting it would speed it up again....for a while.

There is a hint there because EW clears its temp file on shut down.

Fix: either clear the TIF often or increase the disk space for the TIF, or have IT increase it for you if disk quotas were assigned.

Regards

FrontPage MVP
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 9:42 PM
  • That's good news, that we can control the location of the files. Thanks, Steve, for trying that out.

I know I'm spitting into the wind by trying to control my C: drive (and particularly my profile directory). I've just always preferred to compartmentalize things, and I do think it keeps things running more smoothly if the C: drive has as little changed on it as possible.

And it seems to work; I'm running the original install of XP that's nearly 7 years old (11/7/2002--I really didn't think the computer was that old, I just looked at the folder dates in Windows and got a surprise), and it's as solid as a rock, used every day. For the first 3 years or so I never even turned the computer off.

A new one's in the future; I just don't feel like spending the time on setting it all up right now--maybe on a cold, rainy winter weekend.

Sunday, August 09, 2009 12:16 AM