none
Can I create 2 Device Family using same Hardware ID??? RRS feed

• Question

• For the code,

Step1: Create a Machine Pools based on Card-OS topology

Step2: Move systems to respective pool depending on OS

Step3: Create a project

Step4: For Card"X" and OS"X" CreateDeviceFamily, then CreateTargetFamily, Queue Test, it works fine

Step5: For Card"X" and OS "Y", CreateDeviceFamily -- FAILS :(

I want to create 2 different Device Families objects for same Hardware IDs but different project, Is it possible????

$DeviceFamily = $Manager.CreateDeviceFamily("CardFamily", $HardwareID)

Scenario1: Try deleting the device family, it gives below error

>>  Exception calling "DeleteDeviceFamily" with "1" argument(s): "Couldn't delete the Device family"

[ As i understood, since the Device family is having test in queue, it wont allow to delete]

Scenario2: When removed the deletedevicefamily method, following error occurs,

>> Exception calling "CreateDeviceFamily" with "2" argument(s): "Couldn't use the provided hardware id's for this device family"
    At C:\HCK\Cert_2.0HCK.ps1:50 char:45
    +     $DeviceFamily = $Manager.CreateDeviceFamily <<<< ($DeviceFamilyName, $HardwareID)
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DotNetMethodException

Friday, January 18, 2013 9:58 AM

Answers

• Device Families will be created as needed by the HCK object model.  I'd suggest not manually creating one unless you specifically need to mix devices with differing HWIDs.

You can think of a Device Family as a filter for the creation of a Target Family.  HWIDs contained in the Device Family will attempt to be added to the same Target Family (there is validation that the targets are a close enough match for this to be allowed).  Once a Device Family has been used for the creation of a Target Family it can't be deleted.  However multiple projects can use the same Device Family for creation of Target Families.

Paul - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Priya,

Once I used to face same problems. I got over it by not creating any device family. Create PI's under project and add Targets to PI's.

Try out, if doesnt work, let me know.

Regards,

Nilesh

Thursday, January 24, 2013 2:03 PM
  • yeppi, it worked out...discarding the Device Family.

Thanks, priya

Monday, January 28, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Device Families will be created as needed by the HCK object model.  I'd suggest not manually creating one unless you specifically need to mix devices with differing HWIDs.

You can think of a Device Family as a filter for the creation of a Target Family.  HWIDs contained in the Device Family will attempt to be added to the same Target Family (there is validation that the targets are a close enough match for this to be allowed).  Once a Device Family has been used for the creation of a Target Family it can't be deleted.  However multiple projects can use the same Device Family for creation of Target Families.

Paul - This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Thanks Paul, actually I didnt know that HCK OM creates device families, if we do not do it. ;)
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:22 AM
  • Priya, as I said before, do not create any device family, I'm adding to it, this, "HCK OM will do it for you". ;)
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:24 AM