MSRS and MicroFramework? RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if there was any plan to/any reason not to port MSRS to the Micro Framework. Seeing as the hardware requirements are so much lower (read: cheaper), it would make a lot of sense... Can anyone think of why it wouldn't be possible?
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 4:40 PM

Answers

• There are some experimental efforts to port the CCR, DSS relies on alot more infrastructure (for networking, serialization, etc) that a direct port would be hard. But a "protocol/wire" compatible varient running on MF would be feasible.

g

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• There are some experimental efforts to port the CCR, DSS relies on alot more infrastructure (for networking, serialization, etc) that a direct port would be hard. But a "protocol/wire" compatible varient running on MF would be feasible.

g

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 2:10 PM
  • That is still great news. I find that the number of platforms that can run the MSRS is still very limited. There is something about having the entire brain of a robot be on board (as opposed to on a PC) that is just that much cooler. Hopefully the efforts you are mentionning will lead to a way to run the MSRS on smaller hardware, and hopefully then a lot more companies will provide MSRS compatible kits.
    Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:09 PM
  • with 1.5, we also support CE, which can run on a wide range of hardware. We now run on cellphones, small embedded units, etc. With CE we support ARM based platforms which really opened up the field for us.

thanx

g

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 6:30 PM

g

Reviving the question since it was asked 3 years ago.  At this point, has the .NET MF idea been explored and abandoned, or is there still research going on?  If it's a resource constraint thing of course there may be unsolvable issues, but the idea is still appealing.

(hoping to find a FEZ mini robot under the Chrismas tree this year.  Even if I have to put it there myself.)

Saturday, October 9, 2010 6:23 PM
  • There are limitations that prevent RDS from being ported to the .NET Microframework. In particular, the Microframework does not support Generics which makes it hard to port the core RDS components.

You could however write code that implemented the DSS Protocol and make a Microframework board look like a service as far as RDS is concerned. This is the approach that I plan to take when I get an Ethernet shield for my Netduino.

Trevor

Sunday, October 10, 2010 2:10 AM