none
Modifying the Default X12 Schemas RRS feed

• Question

•  

Needing to modify X12 structure for clients is not unusual.  Fortunately, most of those modifications are adding codes, changing optional to mandatory, etc.  These changes don't modify the structure of the schema.  Unfortunately some trading partners do requests changes to the structure.  Many major translators allow the addition, removal, and renaming of segments and elements, thus making users think that such modifications are normal.

This is most critical in situations like our current one where we are migrating a client from 2004 BT/Covast where that client has taken advantage of the capability to add nodes to the EDI transaction and his processes now depend on these nodes.  Although there are other means to solve the problems addressed by these nodes, the client does not want to change.

The simplest question is, "Does BT R2 allow you to modify the structure of a  BizTalk EDI schema by inserting a record node with children? "

What changes can be made to the EDI schemas?

Thanks,

Jim

Tuesday, January 15, 2008 10:11 PM

Answers

• I also had a similar issue with the NTE segments, according to client it can occur anywhere in the message..it will  become a problem with biztalk since we use fixed schemas.. I added new nodes NTELoop1, NTELoop2...... where ever client suggested.. this node will be having NTE segment for which I used the existing NTE reference.. Its working fine for me..
    Friday, January 18, 2008 1:05 PM

All replies

• I also had a similar issue with the NTE segments, according to client it can occur anywhere in the message..it will  become a problem with biztalk since we use fixed schemas.. I added new nodes NTELoop1, NTELoop2...... where ever client suggested.. this node will be having NTE segment for which I used the existing NTE reference.. Its working fine for me..
    Friday, January 18, 2008 1:05 PM
  • Seems there are no limits in modifications the EDI schemas if we do not touch the ISA, GE, SE, and other special segments.

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:44 AM