none
There was an authentication failure. "Failed to decode the S/MIME message. The S/MIME message may not be valid.". RRS feed

• Question

• HI

I am using POP3 adapter to retrive the mails from POP3 mail boxes. However for some clients and some mails we are facing floowing error.

Error:

There was an authentication failure. "Failed to decode the S/MIME message. The S/MIME message may not be valid.".

But when we recover mail and forward the same mail to one of local mail boxes and againg forward to same mail box it is getting processed.

please let me know why at directly if we pull from POP3 adapter it is giveing error.

Please let know need more information.

Thursday, November 3, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

• I think I remember seeing this type of behavior a long time ago too. As far as I know sometimes you are dealing with a different encoding or some messages are Base64 encoded. The best thing to do is to have the messages originally sent to an email service where you can inspect the original message in a text editor or something that shows the message source. After it has been forwarded on Exchange will normalize or optimize the message and you no longer have the same error. You might try always having the message forwarded through exchange to help normalize the message.

Email can come from so many sources these days it is difficult to design a strategy around dealing with email message variants. So I suggest trying to have your email server help with this complexity by forwarding or routing through it.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Team,

We are using the POP3 adapter to retrive the emails to BizTalk. We are facing following error for some of the emails. Also this error is occouring randomly for different mailboxes / emails.

Error Inforamtion:

“There was an authentication failure. Failed to decode the S/MIME message. The S/MIME message may not be valid”.

Because of this error the messages are getting suspended in the BizTalk.

Can anyone assist , why this happens ?

• Merged by Ben Cline1Moderator Friday, November 4, 2011 4:10 PM same question, very similar time
    Friday, November 4, 2011 10:40 AM
  • I think I remember seeing this type of behavior a long time ago too. As far as I know sometimes you are dealing with a different encoding or some messages are Base64 encoded. The best thing to do is to have the messages originally sent to an email service where you can inspect the original message in a text editor or something that shows the message source. After it has been forwarded on Exchange will normalize or optimize the message and you no longer have the same error. You might try always having the message forwarded through exchange to help normalize the message.

Email can come from so many sources these days it is difficult to design a strategy around dealing with email message variants. So I suggest trying to have your email server help with this complexity by forwarding or routing through it.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    Friday, November 4, 2011 4:09 PM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply. But these are client emails, as per the norms, we cant send it to some other Email and route.

Also, I could trace out some information from the suspended message. Once you resume the message, it saw a different error - ie

There is no value associated with the property 'POP3.From' in the message. so I feel the Adapter is not able promote these kind of messages and says the former error and once resumed, as it cant take the adapter promoted properties.

Let me know if you have any update for this issue.

Monday, November 14, 2011 10:16 AM