none
Birds Eye View in Bing Maps Still Missing in Portland RRS feed

• Question

• I used Bing Maps Birds Eye view many times in research of Portland area buildings in the past.  It is different than any other publicly available online map I could find.  Will it be coming back soon with any meaningful presence?  When I did a quick internet search the only thing I saw was that Microsoft significantly reduced the area Birdseye is available in exchange for more recent images.  At this point, even historical images would be valuable for my research.

Thanks to anyone who can provide some insight here.

-SM

Monday, May 13, 2019 11:53 PM

All replies

• Hi SM,

This forum is for Developer using the Bing Maps API but I think I have an answer for you. Please open the built in Maps Application on your PC and choose the three dots in the top right corner.  Then select the option called 3D Cities. In the dialog that pops up on the left side of the app type "Portland" and you will see both Portland ME and Portland OR as options.

If you have a touch screen you can use two fingers to "spin" the city and up and down strokes to change the tilt.  As you can imagine, this uses the video processor greatly and is why you can't find it in the Web application except for 4 direction oblique views.

Note that these are generated from oblique fly overs of the city and stitched together from multiple shots so trees have hard edges much like a building would as a plane does not have visibility below solid objects so looking too close to anything other than buildings might be difficult.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

PS: Birdseye has quite a few cities (see this post from Circa 2017 https://blogs.bing.com/maps/2017-11/over-450-areas-of-birds-eye-imagery-now-live-on-bing-maps ) and more on the way

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 12:48 AM
    Owner