How to get location using SIM in Windows 8 App in C#?

• Hi,

I want to know how to get the location from SIM card in Windows 8 Store App in C#. I know Geolocation Geoposition gets the location from GPS and Wifi hotspots, but if I need to get the location from SIM service provider, how do I do it?

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:38 PM

All replies

• You don't explicitly know which location provider is currently reporting. You can check the source's other data, like speed and heading, to determine the source (A moving source is almost always from a GPS provider) but you are probably more interested in accuracy and update frequency regardless of source type. 

Visual C++ MVP

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 11:27 PM
  • Hi,

Here's the scenario I am facing: I have a Windows 8 laptop with SIM enabled but I don't have any SIM card inserted. I am sitting inside a building so no GPS signal. I am not connected to any Wifi or LAN connected. So now when I insert SIM in the laptop, I am still not getting the location. If SIM is supported, I should be getting the location using GeoLocation API right?

Also, is there any property which I can use to get the mode (GPS/Wifi/IP/SIM) by which location is retrieved? I need to display it in my application.

Thanks & Regards,

Shivapriya K

Thursday, January 29, 2015 5:23 AM
  • Hi Shivapriya,

Based on my knowledge, this is depending on the location providers sitting in your computer. In Windows 8, the build-in windows location provider supplies apps with location data based on Wifi triangulation and IP address data. You can see more information about the location providers. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464919.aspx.

>> is there any property which I can use to get the mode (GPS/Wifi/IP/SIM) by which location is retrieved?

Windows runtime provides location- aware API, you can have a look. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464926.aspx.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 2:28 AM