What does it take to create a beautiful Line of Business Applications for metro style using Visual Studio and no 3rd party tools?

General discussion

• What does it take to create a simple Line of Business application, for example, an Order Entry Application.  The user should be able to brows thousands of records using paging and do CRUD (Create, Edit/Update, Delete) operations on a simple order entry screen.  The application should be disconnected and connect to the servers whenever the connectivity is available.  I don't want to use C#, XAML, SilverLight for the front end.  I want to use pure javascript for the front end and create services in C# which can be stand alone services residing on properietory servers or on the cloud.  One idea is to use Knockout.js and JSON on the front end and create a pure HTML5 App without worrying about metro style, android or apple style etc so that the application is platform independent.  Will Microsoft make this easy? or will it make all developers confirm to metro style?  I want the browser to actually enforce the metro style and I want to concentrate on developing an application without worrying about the metro style or android style or apple style.  Is this too much to expect?  In my opinion, the experience on a device is for consumers, the developers should not be bothered about the style.  A browser on a device or a device itself should enforce style withoug writing a single line of code for style.  The consumers should be able to change the style.  I would prefer a browser (software) enforcing the style.  We should be able to tell apple owners to install a browser on their device and use our app if they want metro style.  I know I may be rambling, but, I'm totally unhappy with the technology fragmentation and direction these days.  Vendors are pushing us backwards to coding for devices instead of creating a simple web application that just needs a browser.  May be we should never consider the new platforms for serious business applications, they are just meant for social networking with photos, videos, music, twitter, facebook, phone, contacts, directions, and games.  But, when I saw Surface, I was excited and thought the time for developers like me to explore these devices as serious platforms for business applications has arrived.  But, going through the DEV center on Microsoft doesn't give me a good feeling to jump in yet.  It is too much information for doing simple things and too little information for business applications.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 8:23 PM

All replies

• hi,

I kind of agree with you on  "I'm totally unhappy with the technology fragmentation and direction these days" and totally understand the frustration. Metro (windows store app) is actually providing consistent experiences among Windows store apps. However, you can still do your bit with HTML5 you suggested. No one really stop you from using HTML5 on your browser. Today Responsive designs are becoming more popular which will help your website adjust to various form factors without much pain. you can develop once and deploy to multiple platforms using something like appmobi.com. 

Ural

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 10:15 AM
  • I think you've expressed what we're all feeling--it's back to the dark days of browser wars. And its even worse for those of use who come from a .NET background, because JavaScript feels like HUGE step backwards. But it is what it is.

In theory, you should be able to build your functionality and let a designer create CSS that will deliver the appropriate UX on Win8, Android, whatever. In reality? Well, you know what they say about theory and practice: "There's no difference between theory and practice in theory, but there's a lot of difference between theory and practice in practice".

Rebecca M. Riordan

Tuesday, April 02, 2013 12:06 PM
  • Long life to Silverlight ;)
    Sad it's not the kind of app we can do with WSA :( Not yet !

• Edited by GearWorld Tuesday, January 07, 2014 5:14 PM
    Friday, January 03, 2014 9:36 PM