Does my SharePoint farm need to be upgraded to SQL 2012 in order to have PowerPivot 2012 clients publish to SharePoint? RRS feed

• Question

• My company has the PowerPivot addin for SharePoint working with Kerberos. However, while they were testing and rolling that out... I upgraded my PowerPivot addin in Excel. Now I find that the upgraded PowerPivot work books do not function when I publish to SharePoint, but my old PowerPivot workbooks are working fine. Please tell me there is an easy upgrade to SharePoint 2010 Sp1 running on SQL 2008 R2 so that I can again have functional PowerPivot apps on SharePoint. We are just starting our planning to upgrade to SQL 2012, so lets not put that upgrade on the critical path, please.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 1:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Cory,

SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for SharePoint does not support workbooks created with the 2012 version of PowerPivot for Excel because the 2008 R2 Analysis Services instance running on the PowerPivot application server cannot load a 2012 model. 

In this case, you should consider upgrading your farms to SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for SharePoint if you want to upload and share 2012 PowerPivot workbooks. Here are some articles for your reference:
    Upgrade PowerPivot for SharePoint: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210646(v=sql.110).aspx

Regards,  

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:13 AM

All replies

• Do you mean upgraded PowerPivot to Excel 2013?

Do you get an error message when you open the workbook?

Ayad

Friday, June 27, 2014 2:13 AM
  • Ayad -- The problem is experienced only in SharePoint. The only upgrade was with my PowerPivot Addin for Excel. Neither Excel nor SharePoint have been upgraded. See below for details.

My Excel Client
    I have consistently used Excel 2010 client (no Excel upgrades). However, I did upgrade my PowerPivot Addin for Excel to be the current SQL 2012 version of the addin. That happened about 6 months ago. 

My SharePoint
    Our SharePoint team has SharePoint 2010 with the SQL 2008 R2 PowerPivot addin for SP. We also have Kerberos working.

Issue
    PowerPivot Apps that I published to the gallery PRIOR to me upgrading my PowerPivot Addin for Excel are working fine in SharePoint. However, PowerPivot apps that I've published AFTER upgrading my Excel 2010 to use the SQL 2012 PowerPivot addin for Excel do not work. Here is the error message I get when I click on a slicer from SharePoint:
    Unable to refresh data for a data connection in the workbook.
    Try again or contact your system administrator. The following connections failed to refresh:

PowerPivot Data

Friday, June 27, 2014 10:24 PM
  • Hi Cory,

SQL Server 2008 R2 PowerPivot for SharePoint does not support workbooks created with the 2012 version of PowerPivot for Excel because the 2008 R2 Analysis Services instance running on the PowerPivot application server cannot load a 2012 model. 

In this case, you should consider upgrading your farms to SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for SharePoint if you want to upload and share 2012 PowerPivot workbooks. Here are some articles for your reference:
    Upgrade PowerPivot for SharePoint: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210646(v=sql.110).aspx

Regards,  

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 8:13 AM