SQL Server error RRS feed

• Question

• User771284268 posted

Hello Everybody,

We just uploaded our Personal Starter Kit on our Windows 2003 server running IIS 6.0 and ASP.NET 2.0 confirmed. We are very close to getting it fixed but are getting the following SQL server error:

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

What are we missing? What are we looking for?

Please suggest.

Thanks
    Snehal Rana[:)]

Friday, February 17, 2006 1:31 PM

All replies

• User82929862 posted

Are you using sql express 2005 or sql 2005. If you are using Express verfiy that it is installed on the server and that the service is started, should be called "Sql Server(sql express) in the services mmc. Also make sure in the service properties that that the NetworkService account is used to logon and then that this account has access to the App_Data folder. if you are using Standard Sql make sure your connection string in web.config is correct and that you can access the sql server with the username and password you specified in the string from that server. Good luck! and if you want to post your connection string I might be able to help a little more

Friday, February 17, 2006 3:07 PM
  • User771284268 posted

Hi Rafa,

We don't have SQL 2005 nor SQL Express 2005 installed on our Windows 2003 server but we have SQL 2000 installed. Can we have SQL Express 2005 installed along with SQL 2000? Also what would be our connection string if we use SQL 2000 server? How do we transfer all the SQL Express database to SQL Server 2000?

Please help we appreciate your help already. Keep up good work.

Thanks,
    Snehal Rana [:)]

Saturday, February 18, 2006 1:17 PM
  • User82929862 posted
    you can do both! You can have sql express with 2000 or just use 2000. Performance wise you are much better off with Sql 2000 over express. To use Sql 2000  you are going to have to do some extra work though. This link is for sql 2005, but I think it is the exact same for 2000. Good luck! http://community.discountasp.net/default.aspx?f=25&m=8785
    Saturday, February 18, 2006 3:03 PM
  • User771284268 posted

Hi Rafa,

I appreciate your response. We followed the steps mentioned in this link and were able to run the SQL statement. We also the table created but we are getting the following error:

Line 5:  Sub Application_Start(ByVal sender As [Object], ByVal e As EventArgs)
    Line 6:  AddHandler SiteMap.SiteMapResolve, AddressOf Me.AppendQueryString
    Line 7:  If (Roles.RoleExists("Administrators") = False) Then
    Line 8:  Roles.CreateRole("Administrators")
    Line 9:  End If

It seems like we have to create administrator user using ASP.NET configuration tool but when we try doing that from remote end it fails. So I was wondering if I could modify the web config on the server itself to create admin user and give that user correct permission.

Actually our site can be viewed at www.premrana.com

Let me know

Thanks for your help.

Monday, February 20, 2006 2:22 PM
  • User771284268 posted

Finally!! we were able to make it work but now there is a very simple problem of inserting actual records from SQL express to SQL 2000.

Our site can be now viewed at: http://www.premrana.com

We don't have any photos or photo album setup yet but that is our next challenge is to bring the actual records into sql2000 database. If anybody knows how to do this please let us know.

Thanks

Monday, February 20, 2006 4:01 PM
  • User-1029797477 posted

I'm running Standard SQL and getting the same error.  From reading all the posts I could find, I assume my problem has to do with the connection string - but I don't know what is "correct". 

SQL Server Management Studio reports:
    Server Name = boss
    Root directory = C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL

I think I've tried all the combinations including Windows vs SQL authentication

Thanks in advance for any help.  SteveG_Florida

PS:  Extract from current web.config:  
    <connectionStrings>
    <add name="Personal" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|Personal.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

<remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf" />

</connectionStrings>

Friday, May 5, 2006 4:58 PM