Windows Mobile SDK 6/6.5 not visible in Visual Studio 2008 RRS feed

Answers

All replies

• HI,

Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK does not exist but DTK. YOu have to install Windows Mobile 6  SDK Refresh before installing Windows Mobile 6.5 DTK.

Cheers,

José Miguel Torres
    Friday, October 2, 2009 12:27 PM
  • yea I just did that, thanks
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 5:15 AM
  • Microsoft quiet release new 6.5 SDK quietly released the WM 6.5 SDK
    In this moment you can install new and you see target device WM6.5
    Robert Stuczynski (Noise) - Blog: http://noiserobert.spaces.live.com/
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:30 PM
  • HI,

Windows Mobile 6.5 SDK does not exist but DTK. YOu have to install Windows Mobile 6  SDK Refresh before installing Windows Mobile 6.5 DTK.

WM 6.5 SDK DOES EXIST. Look at this forum. I've already posted a link to it (not to DTK).
    How can You be MVP and don't know about it :).

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting.

I'm on MSDN just like MD House in the clinic. But I'm also a human which sometimes needs to see another doctor :)
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:45 PM
  • I am an amateur developer as far windows mobile development and Visual Studio 2008 is concerned. I was about to start with my first WinMo program and I am following this guide to help me with that - http://blogs.msdn.com/rajen/archive/2009/08/22/writing-your-first-windows-phone-application.aspx

But even after installing Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional SDK, I just see SDK 5.0 in Visual Studio 2008.

Please help me out here.......

Just go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > WM 6.5 SDK > Uninstall > Repair.
    It will fix all links to Visual Studio.

Those guys at MS doesn't know how to make a proper installation packages it seems.

If You'll find my answer satisfactory or helpful - mark it as answered or vote for it! Thank You.
    If You think You know better then me, why is Your code not working, then don't waste my time at this forum. Otherwise - do as I'm suggesting.

I'm on MSDN just like MD House in the clinic. But I'm also a human which sometimes needs to see another doctor :)
    • Proposed as answer by Mal Loth Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:47 PM
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:47 PM
  • The WM 6.5 SDK released last week had issues and has been pulled from the download section.

--

Ginny Caughey
    Device Application Development MVP

"Mal Loth" wrote in message news:2a981785-7f65-447 7-a75c-b09d7c7b74d3...
    I am an amateur developer as far windows mobile development and Visual Studio 2008 is concerned. I was about to start with my first WinMo program and I am following this guide to help me with that - http://blogs.msdn.com/rajen/archive/2009 /08/22/writing-your-first-windows-phone-application.aspx

But even after installing Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional SDK, I just see SDK 5.0 in Visual Studio 2008.

Please help me out here.......

Just go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > WM 6.5 SDK > Uninstall > Repair.
    It will fix all links to Visual Studio.

Those guys at MS doesn't know how to make a proper installation packages it seems.

Monday, January 25, 2010 3:17 PM
  • Good. It seems that at last someone is reading dev's posts.
    If MS had listened to our suggestions about the WM platform, they would have improved greatly.

Monday, January 25, 2010 3:47 PM
  • Hi!

i've the same problem. i cannot see in my VS2008 the WMSDK 6 professional. it is installed on my machine...

what can i do?

thanks,

E.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 10:48 AM
  • I am having a similar problem, SDK 5 and SDK 6 are not visible in VS2008.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 3:06 PM
  • Hi
    I have finally been able to make Visual Studio 2008 work with the SDKs, and here is more or less what I did:

1) I uninstalled VS2008. Just the IDE, not all the SQL Server things and the other things you get with an VS2008 installation.
    2) I uninstalled my SDKs which in my case were the 5.0 Pocket PC, 5.0 SmartPhone, 6 Professional SDK and 6 Standard SDK.
    3) I installed VS2008 again using the default installation that detects if there are features already installed.
    4) Reboot.
    5) Installed my Mobile 6 SDKs again one at a time + reboot. I omitted the 5.0 PocketPc and 5.0 SmartPhone SDKs since I found out they were included in my new VS2008 installation.
    6) Then I added the Mobile 6 SDKs path to PATH in enviroment variables: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Mobile 6 Professional SDK;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Mobile 6 SDK
    7) Reboot
    8) Then I started VS opened my project and - TADAH! - no problems [Insert X-Files theme song here].

I can build Mobile 6 Standard Edition now. I haven't dared to try the Professional edition yet and also haven't dared starting the emulator yet, but I hope it will run as usual.

Br
    jcndk
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:44 AM
  • Hi Emerich,

I had the same issue, but reinstalling did not help. I managed to solve the issue the following way (I've had VS2005Pro already installed before installing VS2008Pro and the Windows Mobile SDKs always registered with VS2005 Pro but not with VS2008 Pro).

If you have VS2005Pro and the Windows Mobile SDKs can be used with it (try to create a new project and see if the platform selector list contains the installed sdks) then you can register the same SDKs with 2008 Pro manually this way (before this, you have to install WM5 SDK or WM6 SDK):
    Locate the <drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages\WCE.VCPlatform.config file (VS2005Pro windows ce platform configuration file) (on 64 bit Windows), on 32 bit Windows: <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\vcpackages\WCE.VCPlatform.config

Now locate the VS2008Pro Windows CE Platform configuration file: on 64 bit Windows: <drive>:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcpackages\WCE.VCPlatform.config
    on 32 bit Windows: <drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\VC\vcpackages\WCE.VCPlatform.config

Open both files in notepad.

Copy from the text from the VS2005 config file from the 3rd <Platform ...> tag (the first 2 configurations are for PocketPC 2003 and Smartphone 2003) till the end of the file (but SKIP the closing (last tag) </VCPlatformConfigurationFile>)

Paste the copied text into the VS2008Pro Windows CE Platform configuration file (to the end, right before the closing </VCPlatformConfigurationFile> tag).

Save. If the access is denied, copy the config file to the desktop, open it from the desktop, paste the text, save it (it has to be UTF-8 encoded and the extension should not be changed) then copy the file back to the directory mentioned before. When asked for admin rights to overwrite the old one, press yes. The config file is then replaced.

Now start VS2008Pro and you should be able to see WM5/6 target platforms when creating new C++ smart device projects.

Hope this helps, it solved my issues.

Best regards,
    Wilczek

Friday, December 24, 2010 11:06 PM
  • Thank you Wilczek!  Don't know what I would have done without this post.  I had to copy parts of the WCE.VCPlatform.config file from the hard drive of my recently deceased XP machine, to the new Windows 7 64-bit machine.  Finally, after doing that and editing some paths to insert " (x86)" my VS 2005 project will compile.
    Friday, December 9, 2011 8:18 PM