SQL Server Status from a remote server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All..

I need to know how do I get information about a SQL Server Status from a remore sql server.

What I exactly need is ..

I have a remore SQL Server from there I will check the connection status of another almost 800 servers. (SQL Server  version 2000,2005,2008)

And depeding upon the status need to send mail about the Connection status.

One more thing.. I do not want any suggestion which is related to linked server. What I mean to say .. i don want 800 linked server to create in my remote dedicated server. so without linked server if any way to check the status..

SD
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:38 AM

Answers

• Thanks.. but I think useing PowerShell scripting from my server its ok. but then In order to use Powershell against a remote server, you must have the same version of Powershell installed on that server. and that is just to impossible to installe powershell in those 800 remore servers.. that is not in our scope.

SD

I am not sure if you need to install powershell to do that. Anyways, you can also use SQLCMD to connect to all server in batch file (no powershell)
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog | Team Blog | @Twitter
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Friday, August 12, 2011 9:32 AM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Also check http://www.sqlmag.com/article/remote-computing/check-sql-server-s-status
    Balmukund Lakhani | Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:03 AM

All replies

• If you are comfortable with scripting, then you can use powershell script which would attempt to connect to all SQL Server given by you and provide output.

If you just want to check service status then you can use "sc" command and query the status of any service on any machine (provided you have permissions)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:48 AM
  • Thanks.. but I think useing PowerShell scripting from my server its ok. but then In order to use Powershell against a remote server, you must have the same version of Powershell installed on that server. and that is just to impossible to installe powershell in those 800 remore servers.. that is not in our scope.

SD
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 7:56 AM

SD

I am not sure if you need to install powershell to do that. Anyways, you can also use SQLCMD to connect to all server in batch file (no powershell)
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:02 AM
  • Also check http://www.sqlmag.com/article/remote-computing/check-sql-server-s-status
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 8:03 AM