Error Installing on Vista RRS feed

• Question

• While trying to install LINQ preview for visual studio 2005 on a vista machine i'm getting the following error message:

The specified path is too long: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft.

Anyone?
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 9:08 PM

Answers

• Ok here is everything I have found out about this error.

It only seems to happen on Sony Vaio computers running Vista.

In every case I have seen the installer is trying to go to a path that is similar to XP.  In your Program Data folder in Vista there are shortcuts/simlinks to these folders.
      These are hidden system files so you will need to be admin and unhide them in your folder options.

There are two fixes:

1) use the msiexec command to run your msi installer, this command differs depending on what you are installing (this problem happens to multiple types of software).  The one I support is run by msiexec /i <path to the msi installer> /qb

2) take that shortcut\simlink the path is looking for (it is in the error message) and move it to the dekstop.  Move it back after the install.  Good luck.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:13 AM

All replies

• Are you using a Sony Vaio computer by any chance?
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Yes I do! Why?
    Friday, July 20, 2007 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

I am getting the same error. I am using sony vaio laptop.  Please help me get it resolved.

Thanks in advance,

Sachin

Monday, August 13, 2007 3:30 PM
  • I can't help directly, but you might want to look at this post to see if it gives you any pointers

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1106331&SiteID=1

Also, you might want to try running the installer as msiexec /i "LINQ Preview (May 2006).msi" /log log.txt  and seeing if the log says anything else interesting.....

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:18 AM
  • No luck with that....
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Here is the part of the log with the error:
    InstallFiles: File: AssemblyInfo.vb,  Directory: C:\Program Files\LINQ Preview\Samples\VB\Hands On Labs\XLinq Hands on Lab\Exercises\Exercise1\Start\My Project\,  Size: 1229
    InstallFiles: File: CSharp3CodeDomProvider.dll,  Directory: C:\Program Files\LINQ Preview\Bin\,  Size: 76592
    InstallFiles: File: Resources.resx,  Directory: C:\Program Files\LINQ Preview\Samples\VB\Hands On Labs\Visual Basic 9.0 - XML Integration with XLinq\Sources\VBXmlExercise1To3\VBXmlExercise1To3\My Project\,  Size: 5612
    InstallFiles: File: Interop.EnvDTE80.dll,  Directory: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft\MSEnvShared\Addins\,  Size: 135168
    DEBUG: Error 2835:  The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorDialog
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2835. The arguments are: ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog,
    Error 1320. The specified path is too long: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft
    MSI (s) (68:5C) [00:00:05:497]: Product: Microsoft .NET LINQ Preview (May 2006) -- Error 1320. The specified path is too long: C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Microsoft

DEBUG: Error 2835:  The control ErrorIcon was not found on dialog ErrorDialog
    The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2835. The arguments are: ErrorIcon, ErrorDialog,
    Are you sure you want to cancel?
    Action ended 0:00:07: InstallFinalize. Return value 2.
    Action 0:00:07: Rollback. Rolling back action:
    Rollback: Copying new files
    Rollback: Creating folders
    Rollback: CommitRemoveSamplesFolder

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:08 AM
  • Ok here is everything I have found out about this error.

It only seems to happen on Sony Vaio computers running Vista.

In every case I have seen the installer is trying to go to a path that is similar to XP.  In your Program Data folder in Vista there are shortcuts/simlinks to these folders.
      These are hidden system files so you will need to be admin and unhide them in your folder options.

There are two fixes:

1) use the msiexec command to run your msi installer, this command differs depending on what you are installing (this problem happens to multiple types of software).  The one I support is run by msiexec /i <path to the msi installer> /qb

2) take that shortcut\simlink the path is looking for (it is in the error message) and move it to the dekstop.  Move it back after the install.  Good luck.
    Wednesday, August 15, 2007 4:13 AM
  • Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to read it twice ... ;-)

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 2:51 PM
  • THANKS, THANKS!!!!! tried the second solution and works just fine!!!!
    Friday, October 19, 2007 11:36 AM
  • Dear Sir,
    I have encoutered the same error while trying to install SPSS for windows on my VAIO laptop runnig with vista. The long path the program is loocking for and that made installation impossible is  C: \ProgramData\ Application Data\SPSS.

I have loocked up in my \Program files folder and found only the hidden \ProgramData folder; underwhich I did not find \Applicata Data and of course no \SPSS.

Should I now remove the whole  \ProgramData folder and put it on desktop (by cut and paste), try to install SPSS again, then returning the folder (\ProgramData) back from desktop to under program files again? Is this safe? Please reply and forgive my limited experience with computers. Sincerely yours. Dr Ahmed Hassouna.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2008 10:54 AM
  • So it seems VAIO and VISTA and installation have some bugs.

The deciphered answer to your question taken from the above posts is that you need to:

1.  Goto C:

2.  Goto Program Data folder

3. Find Application Data folder (on mine it was merely a short cut folder; interestingly, I was unable to open it)

4. Drag it to your desktop.

5.   Install SPSS as per usual (or whatever isn't installing i guess)

6.  Move the folder back when you are finished.

Nice One

Monday, May 19, 2008 8:33 AM
  • I try to install with your method but I can't find Application Data folder in Program Data folder. Have anyone can install SPSS on VISTA and VAIO. I'm so upset.

Sunday, June 22, 2008 5:04 PM
  • Okay, in case other people haven't figured it out yet here is the solution.  There are TWO separate places where you have to click 'show hidden files' on folder options tab, not just one.  I can't remember if that was true of XP but I don't remember having to do that before.
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 1:44 AM
  • Hello fellas,

I refer to error 1320 on vista for spss installation.  I have tried the tips in previous posts, I can see the folder: applications data shortcut (cannot open it), but I cannot move it to any other location.  Hence I cannot continue my installation.

I need help!!!!!

Saturday, March 27, 2010 11:46 PM
  • I have the same problem as you, Roundsoul. I have located the Application Data shortcut, but I can't drag it to Desktop (or any other location). =(

Wednesday, May 12, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi I have exactly the same problem (on a Vaio) - I can't move the Application Data shortcut to the desktop, the computer just won't let me!

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks so much

Friday, May 28, 2010 2:18 PM
  • I eventually found the solution to the problem on a Facebook page titled "SPSS error: 1320: the specified path is too long": http://www.facebook.com/board.php?uid=146527561197#!/pages/SPSS-error-1320-the-specified-path-is-too-long/146527561197 .

I ended up deleting the Application Data shortcut, installed SPSS, and restored the shortcut when I was done. SPSS is now installed and working fine! =D

For those interested, I am running Vista on an ASUS.

• Proposed as answer by CrazyTown Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:19 AM
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 2:24 PM
  • THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH. I could never figure out how to get around not being able to move the App Data folder until now.

I'm also running ASUS and many other's on the fb page seemed to have the same trouble.

Cheers.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:21 AM
  • I ended up deleting the application data file, retrying the install at the error, then put the file back. After 2 agonizing weeks, the program I desperately needs FINALLY works now.

Using SPSS on a Toshiba Satellite with Vista

Sunday, February 27, 2011 6:45 AM
  • On 2/27/2011 1:45 AM, Melxxx wrote:
    > I ended up deleting the application data file, retrying the install at
    > the error, then put the file back. After 2 agonizing weeks, the program
    > I desperately needs FINALLY works now.
    >
    > Using SPSS on a Toshiba Satellite with Vista
    >

Are you sure you have the right forum?

Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:25 AM
  • Hi

Suddenly I step on that too…

I’m on a Vaio with w7, a clean installation without any sony restoration stuff, trying to install spss16.

The guys on SPSS inc. shut down the help page about a problem of their software and the sony people state that It’s not a sony problem, it’s a user software problem.

I try also to move the” Application Data” folder to the desktop, but no way, not even a “don’t think about it”. The “msiexec” solution doesn’t work also. And I lost a couple of days hard hammering my head. So I decide to stop looking and start thinking. What, I my case, come just before heavy system messing,

I could not move it, neither open it, but I could deleted it, (nice Microsoft…). So deleted the “application data” folder! Tried the setup SPSS routine one more time, successfully of course, open the new “application data” folder the damn SPSS installation created, just  to realize that it only contains an ini file, with only one line, only indicating the path to the destination folder! High coding and extremely useful to the process. A hand full of hand clapping to both software companies!

Deleted the sucker, restored back the original “application data” and seated back waiting to the “application error” to appear… I’ still waiting, just doing some work to help occupying in the mean time.

That’s my two cents.

Tuesday, March 1, 2011 11:08 AM
  • does anyone know where the two places are that you have to click "show hidden files" cos i can only see one and i don't see application data anywhere!

thanks!

:-)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011 3:09 PM
  • does anyone know where the two places are that you have to click "show hidden files" cos i can only see one and i don't see application data anywhere!

thanks!

:-)

Open up and explorer window.

At the top, go to:

*Tools

*Folder options

*click the "views" tab

*untick "hide protected operating system files"

*apply

*ok

You will now be able to navigate to C:\programdata\ and see the "Application Data" directory which will most likely appear as a shortcut which you wont be able to open but you can delete and this is safe to do so.

Run the installer and it will work.

Had to do this for my other half as she needs it for uni work.

Was a right pain to sort without any help from the spss guys.

Let me know how you get on.

Monday, April 18, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hi Matt,

Thank you so much that totally worked!! My other half was stuck on the same problem and she has a Sony Vaio and needs it for uni!!

Mo

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:20 PM
  • Thank you sooo much! It finally worked! Or at least it looks like it did. It's such a simple but bright solution ^^ If it doesn't move.. just delete it! ^^

Thanks again! =)

Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Have tried all methods suggested here but still can't get the SPSS software installed on my wife's computer for her university course. She's using an Asus notebook. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated. Have spent hours on this problem to no avail and no bloody support from Asus or SPSS. Bloody frustrating. Thinking of buying an Apple computer so it bloody well works!!!
    Sunday, July 24, 2011 5:46 AM
  • Application Data doesn't appear in "C:\ProgramData"??!!

any idea?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:30 PM
  • Try LONG PATH TOOL it is the easiest way that can solve your problem.  
    Saturday, March 2, 2013 10:27 PM