none
How can i get newly added contacts for a Mailbox User in Exchange Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I need to synchronize contacts in Exchange Server and Sugar CRM Application, for that

i need to get newly added contacts for a User in Exchange Server 2013 by using EWS Managed API.

I know how get the list of all contacts for a particular user , but in the list how i can find

new contacts ?
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 9:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Dora,

three possible methods I can think of:

1) Events
    If creating contacts causes events, you could listen for them (not sure though)

2) Master List
    Keep a List of all contacts you already synchronized and compare it with all Contacts periodically.

3) Tag 'em
    Tag the contacts you synced with an extended property. That way, you can scan for contacts that don't have that property.

Cheers,
    Fred

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Marked as answer by Dora407 Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:21 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:19 AM
  • Hi Dora,

that's the fun thing:
    You add your own property (and it'll be invisible to outlook users, not to worry).

Extended Properties allow you to define custom property on Exchange Items. And it has a method for setting those too.

Here's a short post doing a very simple intro on using Extended Properties.
    Glen's Exchange Blog is a generally useful resource when working with EWS, I'm confident you'll be able to find lots of tips there as well.

Cheers,
    Fred

• Marked as answer by Dora407 Monday, June 16, 2014 6:35 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Dora,

three possible methods I can think of:

1) Events
    If creating contacts causes events, you could listen for them (not sure though)

2) Master List
    Keep a List of all contacts you already synchronized and compare it with all Contacts periodically.

3) Tag 'em
    Tag the contacts you synced with an extended property. That way, you can scan for contacts that don't have that property.

Cheers,
    Fred

• Marked as answer by Dora407 Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:21 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:19 AM
  • you use the powershell command

Get-MailContact -ResultSize Unlimited | Select-Object DisplayName, WhenCreated

to get more specific using "where" as filter for WhenCreated

Get-MailContact -ResultSize Unlimited | Where-Object {$_.WhenCreated –ge ((Get-Date).Adddays(-7))} | Select-Object DisplayName, WhenCreated

Exchange Queries

Thursday, June 5, 2014 10:20 AM
  • Hi Fred,

Thank you for reply.

1) i really  don't know what Event causes if a new contact is created.

2) Keeping list of all contacts for each user and comparing is a long process and I am not Maintaining database  for previous list

3)Tag the contacts is good one i think.

how can i tag contacts ?  which property is use for that ?

Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:29 AM
  • Hi Dora,

that's the fun thing:
    You add your own property (and it'll be invisible to outlook users, not to worry).

Extended Properties allow you to define custom property on Exchange Items. And it has a method for setting those too.

Here's a short post doing a very simple intro on using Extended Properties.
    Glen's Exchange Blog is a generally useful resource when working with EWS, I'm confident you'll be able to find lots of tips there as well.

Cheers,
    Fred

• Marked as answer by Dora407 Monday, June 16, 2014 6:35 AM
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 11:41 AM