none
Uploading third-party logs to Application Insights RRS feed

• Question

• I have some thirparty log files generated by an application that does not have AI integrated.  So what I have is a log file that gets created and updated by this thirdparty application.  How do I push these logs into Application Insights ?  IS there any agent or client that i can use to push these third party logs into Application Insights ?

PS. The application is running on linux platform and creates logs in a local log file with some pattern similar to log4j.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 8:15 AM

All replies

• The best solution will be to add Application Insights to the project. There are existing libraries for pushing Logback and Log4J data to Application Insights. A different logger may allow you to do something similar- it depends greatly on the capabilities of the logger.

For Log4J, you need to add the related AI package and add it to your dependencies.

<dependencies>
       <dependency>
          <groupId>com.microsoft.azure</groupId>
          <artifactId>applicationinsights-logging-log4j2</artifactId>
          <version>[2.0,)</version>
       </dependency>
    </dependencies>

If you aren't able to integrate App Insights into the base application, then you will need to use an independent service to push the data in the files to Azure Monitor as a custom data source. From there you can join it with any data that you are logging through App Insights, or simply analyze the data using the same Kusto queries you would use in App Insights.

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 3:27 PM