none
Convert an older version of an Access file RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to convert/open/edit an older version of an Access file - it does not say the version of access it was created in, but it does have a .mdb file ext.

I have combed the forums - nothing that helps

ERROR MESSAGE: "This member of the replica set has exceeded maximum number of days allowed between synchronizations and can't be synchronized with any other member of the replica set."

I have runtime versions of access 2003, 2007 to no avail in opening the file for conversion

Is there a way to convert this file??

Thursday, July 5, 2018 12:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, I will move your thread to Access for Developer forum:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=accessdev

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Emi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:16 AM
  • The Runtime version of ACCESS can't convert anything. You need the full version to convert an older file.
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 1:19 PM
  • Based on the message am I right in suspecting this is an adp file?  If so you may wish to review threads, such as: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/Lync/en-US/cba21b60-0235-433b-9157-7e055e2e4b41/how-steps-for-convert-an-old-adp-file-to-accdb-in-access-20102013?forum=accessdev

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2017 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Thursday, July 5, 2018 2:53 PM
  • This I understand, but that in no way addresses the error message that I get to simply open the file..
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:24 PM
  • I have no idea to which you refer regarding the file type you mentioned. The link did not help at all - thanks anyway.
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:26 PM
  • Hi,

Pardon me for jumping in... I read the error message a little differently.

If I am not mistaken, you may have a replicated database. You either need to get a different replica or find the master database. If you don't have the master database but has another replica you can open, you will be able to "promote" it to a master.

In any case, I think the comment about using a runtime version to do this is probably correct. You'll need to find/use a full version of Access 2003 (or maybe earlier).

Just my 2 cents...

• Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Friday, July 6, 2018 3:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ghjklop Sunday, July 8, 2018 2:44 AM
    Thursday, July 5, 2018 10:28 PM
  • This error message appears to be related to replication, a feature of Access 2003 and before.  I don't know if more recent versions of Access, A2007 and later, have the tools to handle replication, even in the .mdb format where it's supported. Replication is a feature whereby "replicas" of a "design master" database are created and distributed, with special attributes that allow data changes made in the replicas to later be synchronized with the design master and each other. 

If I'm right, you are working with a replica from a replicated database.  If so, do you need to be concerned with other replicas and future synchronization?  If not -- and replication isn't much used these days -- it is possible with Access 2003 to remove replication from the database.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Thursday, July 5, 2018 10:29 PM
  • Firstly, I have no idea whether this is a replicated db or not, furthermore, I have no idea what a replicated db is.

Secondly, when I recieved the file, it was MOVED in its entirety from the hd to a usb stick. I have to assume at this time, that this is indeed the master db as there are no other ACCESS DB files on the ENTIRE hd including recycle bin, deleted files etc...

Sunday, July 8, 2018 2:56 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated!! However, I can niether confirm or otherwise if this is a replicated db..

Sunday, July 8, 2018 3:02 AM
  • Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated!! However, I can niether confirm or otherwise if this is a replicated db..

Hi,

If I remember correctly, replicated databases either have funny looking table names or all the ID fields are converted to GUIDs.

Maybe you can check those.

Just a thought...

Monday, July 9, 2018 3:10 PM

If you open one of your tables in design view and see (probably at  the end of the field list) fields named "Gen_OLE Fieldnames", "s_ColLineage", "s_Generation", "s_Guid", and "s_Lineage", then your database is probably replicated.  If you examine several tables and don't see fields like that, then it's probably not replicated.

Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
    Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html

Monday, July 9, 2018 10:00 PM