Always on replica not failover automatically to secondary replica RRS feed

• Question

• In my AG group I have one Primary replica and two secondary replicas.

One is synchronized and another one is synchronizing . Now my primary replica went down and my environment not got failover to secondary synchronized replica.

May I know why it would not failover?

I have checked the setting in AG group Dashboard in SQL Failover Wizard and it shows failover mode for my secondary replica is Automatic.

Still my primary replica not automatically failover to secondary replica when my primary replica was down.

• Edited by TwoR Monday, November 18, 2013 3:16 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi

If AlwaysON is configured with automatic failover then the databases in the Availability groups have to be in synchronized mode and not in synchoinizing mode because for automatic failover the data movement from Primary Replica to Secondary Replica is in synchronous mode and automatic failover guarantees no data loss.

If the instances on which AlwaysON is configured are standalone instances, then if the SQL Server instance is brought down then the automatic failover won't happen because the SQL Server service is not monitored by the Cluster service. But if you bring down the entire Node on which primary Replica resides, then the automatic failover will happen. Please try it out and confirm.

Thanks and Regards Alankar Chakravorty MCITP Database Administrator SQL Server 2008 MCITP Database Administrator SQL Server 2005

• Proposed as answer by Fanny Liu Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Wednesday, November 27, 2013 9:46 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 5:42 PM