none
Asynchronous WinBioVerify vs WinBioVerifyWithCallback RRS feed

• Question

• I wrote a program that runs in Windows 8.1 & 10 to verify a fingerprint against the currently logged in user's identity using WinBioVerify. I do this asynchronously by starting the session with WinBioAsyncOpenSession. I tried to run the same program on Windows 7, and it turns out that WinBioAsyncOpenSession doesn't exist in the Win7 version of WinBio.dll.

This shouldn't have been a problem, since it was easy enough to make a separate EXE for Win7 that opened the session normally and called WinBioVerifyWithCallback instead. The problem I'm having now has the same symptoms as when the original program was not properly setting the application's window focus: the fingerprint unit lights up when touched, but no result is returned to the code.

A Google search turns up some references that SetForegroundWindow() is unreliable in Win7, but none of the alternatives I've tried have worked either (BringWindowToTop, AttachThreadInput, WinBioAcquireFocus) assuming the focus is even the problem.

Does anyone have or know of any working examples of WinBioVerifyWithCallback on Windows 7?

Thursday, August 18, 2016 9:30 PM

All replies

• it is unclear if you are writing an application which is trying to activate another application's window or this is all in the same app and you are trying to activate your own window

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 19, 2016 8:03 PM
  • It's all in the same program. Calling SetForegroundWindow() then SetFocus() seems to work most of the time, but it's not 100% reliable. I can't use WinBioAcquireFocus and WinBioReleaseFocus because the app is running under the user's account, not local system.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2016 1:16 PM