none
Syncing the Kinect v2 with a separate microphone RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to simultaneously record an RGB-D video and an audio stream: the RGB-D should come from the Kinect v2 and the audio should come from a separate microphone.  These two streams will need to be aligned as closely as possible. This problem would be easy to solve if I were using the Kinect's built-in microphone (via relative timestamps), but unfortunately I can't do this -- the built-in mic is not suitable for my purposes.

One possible solution would be to align both streams with the system clock, say by recording the system time of each RGB-D frame.  Unfortunately I'm not sure how to do this. The C++ API provides relative timestamps via get_RelativeTime() but not (as far as I can tell) absolute timestamps.  Is there any way to get absolute times?  What are the other solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 11:35 PM

All replies

• The Kinect runs on it's own internal clock and as far as I know there is no way to directly access it to get an absolute time.

Like you said it should be possible using relative time and the Kinect's microphone, but there has been no confirmation from Microsoft as to whether or nit this would actually work either.

Monday, January 12, 2015 6:39 PM