none
Deploying .Net 3.5 via GPO or WSUS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All...

I have about 150 computers that require the .NET 3.5 framework. In the past, we have simply pushed this framework out using WSUS. However, Microsoft has not yet published .NET 3.5 to WSUS (nor have they even published it to Windows Update). I have two questions:

1. Does anyone here know if or when .NET 3.5 will be published to Windows Update?

2. If the answer to question 1 is unknown, does anyone here know if there is an .MSI package of .NET 3.5?

Thanks in advance.

Marc Hoffman

Thursday, November 29, 2007 6:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can get .net framework 3.5 setup package here. Note the Full Redistributable Package.
    Monday, December 3, 2007 3:13 AM
  • Hello...

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, this does not help me. I've already downloaded the full redistributable package, but there's a problem: it's packaged in *.exe format and not in *.MSI format. The only way to deploy *.exe packages via Group Policy is (at least to my knowledge) to have the user be an administrator of his or her local computer. We don't allow this. By using *.MSI packages, software installs can proceed with elevated privileges without giving the user admin rights.

Over the weekend, I did find an article explaining how to deploy .Net 3:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa964979.aspx

However, this does not appear to apply to 3.5 (I tried...for about an hour).

So I'm still at a loss.

Any idea when this will be posted to Windows Update? It would be SOOO much nicer to deployt this via WSUS.

• Proposed as answer by Pete Newcomb Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:24 PM
    Monday, December 3, 2007 1:24 PM
  • So far as I know, there are currently no such package available.
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 2:25 AM
  • I hear what you are saying. i just extracted the full distribution and then extracted several of the exes and none would run without the "dotNetFx35setup.exe" running first.

Only things I can think of for your case is to have the install run totally quiet via the machine login script. I would assume that running it a second time would simply do nothing. OR use PStools and deploy it with psexe.exe.

Its really to bad .zap files have to run only under an admin account.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 3:44 AM
  • FYI:

.NET Framework 3.5 will be released on Windows Update in the near future as a recommended update.

To create an installable layout for the final release of the .NET Framework 3.5 see: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/12/03/6646794.aspx

Thanks

Thursday, December 20, 2007 4:12 AM
  • Why can't they just make an MSI so we can use the existing AD!

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:12 PM
  • I hear you. It's pretty sad that Microsoft doesn't use it's own software packaging/installer/deployment framework :-(

And, since I first posted this message, there is STILL NO TRACE of .net 3.5 on Microsoft Update. Sigh.

Monday, February 11, 2008 8:37 PM
  •  EVC wrote:
    Why can't they just make an MSI so we can use the existing AD!

They do provide it in MSI format, did you try extracting the exe for the msi file? works fine in our AD

Tuesday, May 20, 2008 1:09 PM
  •  October 2, 2008

Any word on when .Net Framework 3.5 will be available on WSUS servers? Why is it not there? It has been almost a year since its release.

This question has become more of a priority since Sept. 23, 2008 when Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0: x86 (KB928416) was released. This patch has failed to install on 200 workstations spread across my enterprise. The simpliest solution to this problem I have found is to install .Net Framework 3.5 manually which does a nice job of updating .NET Framework 3.0 and 2.0 to SP2 as well as correcting or negating the need for this failing patch. Computer management in my environment, a university is distributed, therefore I do not access many of the failing machines. All the failing machines ARE clients of the central campus WSUS server. The failing workstations that I do manage I can remotely install .Net Framework 3.5 silently but WSUS would be the ideal solution

thanks Tim
    Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hi Tim,
    you can use System Center Updates Publisher to publish the framework to WSUS and EminentWare to approve it, report on it, or immediately install it. You can publish any exe, msi, or msp to WSUS as long as it can be run silently.
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 7:04 PM
  • The full (painstakingly annoying I may add) instructions for deloying .Net framework 3.5 through Active Directory are here.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160717.aspx#active_directory

I assume they work alright, I am just trying it now myself.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 8:27 PM