none
Exchange 2010 SP3 on Windows 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am trying to install Exchange Server 2010 SP3 on a Windows 2012 R2.

The process always stops when trying to install the Transport Server role , saying that the "MS Exchange Transport" service cannot start.

When I go to services I see that service as "starting" but I can't make it stop or restart it.

This box is also a Domain Controller.

May that be the cause?

Or do you know if there is an issue about Exchange 2010 SP3 with Windows Server 2012 R2 ? maybe a patch needed?

Thanks in advance.

Luis Olías.

Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:00 PM

Answers

• As you assumed there is an issue with exchange and WS-R2.
    Both doesn't work so good and you'll need to install a bunch of addons if it will even work.
    Wasted hours on this when I was doing this and at the end I installed it on a regular windows server 2012 and everything worked.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:16 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:50 PM
  • Hi,

First of all Exchange is not supported on Domain Controller.

Second As per Microsoft Exchange 2010 is not supported on Windows 2012 R2.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2808208/description-of-exchange-server-2010-sp3

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:11 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:07 AM
  • Hi,

If you install Exchange on DC then you will face such issues.

You are also not having minimum hardware requirement to  install Exchange.

May I know what is error messages you are getting in event viewer while starting transport service?

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Note:- Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:15 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 6:51 PM
  • That's a much better option.

Also if you are doing testing on Exchange then I will suggest to go for Exchange 2019 or Exchange 2016.

Exchange 2010 will be end of life by Jan 2020.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:35 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 6:59 PM

All replies

• As you assumed there is an issue with exchange and WS-R2.
    Both doesn't work so good and you'll need to install a bunch of addons if it will even work.
    Wasted hours on this when I was doing this and at the end I installed it on a regular windows server 2012 and everything worked.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:16 PM
    Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:50 PM
  • Many thanks for the quick and informative reply Shahar.

I will try that approach too.

Thanks!

Luis Olías.

Saturday, February 9, 2019 9:52 PM
  • Hi,

First of all Exchange is not supported on Domain Controller.

Second As per Microsoft Exchange 2010 is not supported on Windows 2012 R2.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2808208/description-of-exchange-server-2010-sp3

Thanks, Ashish (I can be wrong but can't be rude) “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” MCITP, MCT, MCSE. Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:11 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:07 AM
  • I didn't know R2 was not supported. 

My mistake for not having read well the requirements. I am sorry.

Thanks!

Luis Olías.

Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:11 AM
  • No need to say sorry. We all do that :)

Also Exchange 2010 is reaching end of life so I will suggest to go for Exchange 2016 or later.

Sunday, February 10, 2019 12:15 AM
  • An update:

I have tried to install it on Windows 2012 ( no R2 ) with the same result, the transport role won't install ( the error message says something like: "unable to start the MSExchangeTransport service" )

I go to services.msc and again I see the service "MSExchangeTransport" , starting.

I have tried to install it like 5 times so far, in newly built Windows 2012 each time.

All the prerequisites are installed , and the virtual machine has 3 GB of RAM , maybe it is a RAM related problem ?

This machine is also a DC and a CA . As far as I heard, it is not supported if the machine is a DC, but I have installed other Exchange in a DC ( in labs ) with no issues.

Regards,

Luis Olías.

• Edited by Luis O.J Monday, February 18, 2019 6:05 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 6:02 PM
  • Hi,

If you install Exchange on DC then you will face such issues.

You are also not having minimum hardware requirement to  install Exchange.

May I know what is error messages you are getting in event viewer while starting transport service?

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:15 PM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 6:51 PM
  • Thanks Ashish for the reply.

I have just destroyed that VM.

Because just when I was posting my previous post I thought of making a DC and then separately a machine only with Exchange to see if that makes it work, which I am guessing it will.

Thanks once again!

Luis Olías.

Monday, February 18, 2019 6:55 PM
  • That's a much better option.

Also if you are doing testing on Exchange then I will suggest to go for Exchange 2019 or Exchange 2016.

Exchange 2010 will be end of life by Jan 2020.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

• Marked as answer by Luis O.J Tuesday, February 19, 2019 4:35 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2019 6:59 PM
  • It finally worked.

Just not having the DC and the Exchange in the same machine.

1. A machine for the DC.

2. A machine for Exchange.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR SUPPORT!

Luis Olías.

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 10:15 PM

• Currently I have  4 AD Domain controller 2008 R2 .FFL and DFL is also 2008 R2. 
    Exchange 2010 SP3 ( Version 14.3 Build 123.4)installed on 2008 r2 SP1 OS.

Wants to introduced new additional Domain controller Windows 2012 R2 in Exchange 2010 sp3 envirnment .(i dont wants to update RU on exchange .we are migrating to O365)

will 2012 R2 domain controller support to exchange 2010 Sp3 ?
    • Proposed as answer by Niyazi_325 Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:03 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Niyazi_325 Thursday, December 5, 2019 5:03 AM
    Thursday, December 5, 2019 2:59 AM