Help to Setup a Mirror SQL2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

Just switched from SQL 08 to 16 Standard with assurance, the Database admin installed the primary SQL server, to mirror the database do I have to install and configure the SQL 2016 on the backup machine the same way with identical options?

How can  I tell what options are installed on the current machine?

ty,

Sid

• Edited by Sid_BK Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:12 AM
    Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:10 AM

Answers

• You don't really need identical options, but it is a best practice. Where you will run into problems is if you have different file paths on the mirror (i.e. on the primary the data files are on d:\SQLData and the log files on E:\SQLLogs and on E:\SQLServerData and E:\SQLServerLogs).

Then if you do a file operation on the mirror (i.e. like add a file to a file group) the mirroring operation will try to add this file on the mirror and will fail if the path does not exist there.

• Marked as answer by Sid_BK Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:03 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Guys,

Just switched from SQL 08 to 16 Standard with assurance, the Database admin installed the primary SQL server, to mirror the database do I have to install and configure the SQL 2016 on the backup machine the same way with identical options?

How can  I tell what options are installed on the current machine?

The question heading and your question do not match, can you clearly let me know what is your question

Cheers,

Shashank

Please mark this reply as answer if it solved your issue or vote as helpful if it helped so that other forum members can benefit from it

My TechNet Wiki Articles

MVP

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:02 AM
  • Hi Shashank,

If i would like to install another SQLServer with identical options and i do not know how the existing SQL server was installed, how do i proceed?

Monday, May 22, 2017 6:50 PM
  • You don't really need identical options, but it is a best practice. Where you will run into problems is if you have different file paths on the mirror (i.e. on the primary the data files are on d:\SQLData and the log files on E:\SQLLogs and on E:\SQLServerData and E:\SQLServerLogs).

Then if you do a file operation on the mirror (i.e. like add a file to a file group) the mirroring operation will try to add this file on the mirror and will fail if the path does not exist there.

• Marked as answer by Sid_BK Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:03 AM
    Monday, May 22, 2017 6:59 PM
  • Thank you! Sir.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 2:03 AM