Windows CE apps on Windows Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• This is probably a very simple question and I think the answer is yes, but I am pretty new to Windows CE development so heregoes.

I have some code ... actually its WinPCap windows CE port which they do not claim to be perfect anyway, but I am trying to compile and run it on a Windows Moblie 6, MWG Atom Life, ARM processor PDA. It is not working out for me and I'm half thinking maybe Windows Mobile apps are Windows Mobile specific ... I have read that Mobile is built on CE so I had thought that CE applications should just work on Mobile too. Does anyone know if it can?

If the answer is sometimes, but not always, is there any way to check? Or to know if running it in Visual Studio 2008 is not working for that reason?

When I compile the dll and driver they come up with an error saying that I need a command line to start them. ... I am debugging straight to the actual PDA. I dont know what the command line should be ... something to register the dlls maybe? I have tried putting the compiled dlls into the windows folder on the PDA, but still the same error for the app - the application failed to run and may be corrupt.

Any help, or pointers to some info on this stuff would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Darren
    Monday, April 21, 2008 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Darren,

In general WM applications won't work on CE and CE applications won't work on WM. In some cases, however, they would work both ways. It is not possible to tell because CE is modular OS and thus there's pretty much infinite number of different CE variations .

For more information:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2799487&SiteID=1

Best regards,

Guang-Ming Bian - MSFT

Friday, April 25, 2008 2:07 AM