Workflow 4.5, Breakpoints not working in Designer RRS feed

• Question

• VS 2015 Ultimate, Windows 7 64 bit

I can add breakpoints to my workflow console activities but they never hit during debug mode.  I've reviewed the MSDN documentation but cannot resolve the issue.  Is there anything special that needs to be configured or workarounds adopted to get this working?

Thanks,

Chris

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 9:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Chris.

I was experiencing the exact same problem, similar setup; VS 2015 Enterprise running as Administrator on Windows 10. Breakpoints were being totally ignored that have been placed on activities in the Workflow Designer. I was following exactly a workflow debugging lab straight out of  Chapter 3 of Apress Pro WF 4.5 by Bayer White, so what could possibly be wrong?

The solution for me was to uncheck / disable the "Enable Just My Code" setting in Visual Studio Options > Debugging > General (the setting is about midway down on the screen when scrolled to the very top of the list). After that was cleared, like magic, the breakpoints set on activities in the Activity Designer were being honored as expected.

How I determined that this was the issue: I closed the activity designer that had the breakpoints set in it, and opened the "code view" of that XAML file (which forces the designer view to close). In the XAML for the workflow I could see the breakpoints that I had placed via the designer, except here, they are solid Red (not striped red as in the designer). However, when the project started in Debug, those breakpoints changed to a white center with a tiny warning icon. The error message indicated that either no debug symbols are being loaded or Enable Just My Code is enabled in VS Options.

Hope this helps!

Roy

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 2:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 2:27 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Chris.

I was experiencing the exact same problem, similar setup; VS 2015 Enterprise running as Administrator on Windows 10. Breakpoints were being totally ignored that have been placed on activities in the Workflow Designer. I was following exactly a workflow debugging lab straight out of  Chapter 3 of Apress Pro WF 4.5 by Bayer White, so what could possibly be wrong?

The solution for me was to uncheck / disable the "Enable Just My Code" setting in Visual Studio Options > Debugging > General (the setting is about midway down on the screen when scrolled to the very top of the list). After that was cleared, like magic, the breakpoints set on activities in the Activity Designer were being honored as expected.

How I determined that this was the issue: I closed the activity designer that had the breakpoints set in it, and opened the "code view" of that XAML file (which forces the designer view to close). In the XAML for the workflow I could see the breakpoints that I had placed via the designer, except here, they are solid Red (not striped red as in the designer). However, when the project started in Debug, those breakpoints changed to a white center with a tiny warning icon. The error message indicated that either no debug symbols are being loaded or Enable Just My Code is enabled in VS Options.

Hope this helps!

Roy

• Proposed as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 2:27 AM
    • Marked as answer by Angie Xu Friday, January 8, 2016 2:27 AM
    Sunday, December 20, 2015 5:40 PM
  • We run into this issue a lot and for us the issue is that the debug binary symbols at the top of the XAML don't get rebuilt. If you move an activity even one pixel it will force it to rebuild and start working again. We call it "jiggling the workflow".

Blake Helms

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:50 PM