none
Some feedback from the problems I had installing the Kinect SDK RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all,

I had some problems installing the Kinect SDK (maybe because I had previously used the openNI drivers). If you wish you can see what I have tried here: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/kinectsdk/thread/5b9ffac3-86c0-4147-a6c7-f8e4bbc73c56

Until yesterday I still had that problem and tried to follow the guidelines posted by jimstein in the previous thread. Unfortunately for me, they didn't work.

Although the drivers installed correctly (the 4 correct entries appeared in my Device Manager) and I had a blinking green light, when I tried to run either sample I always got the message to connect the Kinect or the NuiInitialize failed message.

One of the tips in the Microsoft documentation is to not connect the Kinect in the same usb hub than another webcams.... I have one webcam with my monitor (ASUS PW201) and that was connected to a different usb hub than the one I was connecting the Kinect (webcam was on the back, kinect was connected to the front of the computer).

I tried to connect the webcam to a different controller on the motherboard (to my usb3 controller instead of the rest of usbs) and that didn't work either.

It only worked when I decided to disconnect the webcam from the pc, which is very strange (didn't had to do that with the openNI drivers). Although I can perfectly physically disconnect the webcam while developing for Kinect, I would like to be able not to do that, if possible, in the future.

Anyway, in hope that my main specs can help Microsoft in some way (or others with similar problems) here they are:

Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E EVO

Intel i5-760 and 4GB RAM (GSkill)

Creative X-Fi Music PCI Sound card

Windows 7 x64 Enterprise with SP1 and all Updates installed

NVIDIA drivers 275.33 for ASUS GTS250 Black Knight edition

Monitor ASUS PW201

Let's play with Kinect :)

Best,

Luís

Monday, July 25, 2011 1:04 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. I will follow up with driver developers.

Eddy

I'm here to help
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 9:29 AM
  • the issue with being on the same USB host controller as other devices comes down to USB bandwidth. Windows reservers 20%, the Kinect takes 61%. That's 81% total. If there is something else on the host that takes more than 19%, the Kinect isn't going to work if it is plugged in after that bandwidth is gone.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 10:51 PM
  • are you sure the devices are on different host controllers? You can check in Device Manager / Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Expand and right-click on the controller and select properties. Then click the advanced tab. That will show the resources being used.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 9:32 PM
  • Popping in here... I have always been confused by what seem to be deprecated controllers that build up in the Device Manager "Universal Serial Bus controllers" node. Maybe this is a good time for me to get familiar with what is going on here. I have 11 nodes in there:  4 ea. Generic USB Hub, 2 ea. Standard Enhanced PCI to USB HOst Controller, 3 ea. USB Comnposite Device, and 2 ea. USB Root Hub. How do I know these are valid? Maybe that is whay I can't install the Kinect SDK?

Thanks, Crile

Crile Carvey
    Thursday, July 28, 2011 7:18 PM