none
U-SQL Activity failing in ADF RRS feed

• Question

• Since the failure is occurring withing ADF I decided to post here.

I have a pipeline where one of the activities for a valid file is to take the input file and 2 additional columns based on pipeline execution values.  

The pipeline and U-SQL activity is successful and sometimes it fails with error:

"errorCode": "2703", "message": "Error Id: VertexFailedFast, Error Message: Vertex failed with a fail-fast error. ",

Each time it is success or failure, it uses the same file as I am re-running with same file. Another thing I noticed is that when it fails the directory has other files which would never get to the U-SQL activity as they would be deleted as part of a file validation process.

But based on how long the U-SQL activity runs, it does  seem to do work but failing at the last minute.  

Asad Khan

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 5:36 PM

Answers

• Identified the issue, it was a user error on my part.   My flow was not proper and deleting the file from another parallel step.   I think a better error message would of helped me finding the issue much earlier.

Asad Khan

• Marked as answer by ipulsetv Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:51 PM

All replies

• Identified the issue, it was a user error on my part.   My flow was not proper and deleting the file from another parallel step.   I think a better error message would of helped me finding the issue much earlier.

Asad Khan

• Marked as answer by ipulsetv Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 26, 2019 7:51 PM
  • Thank you for letting us know of the solution.

"Vertex" is a term often used in the ADLA execution.  "Vertex" is not a term Data Factory uses to describe itself to the customer.

However, I do agree, improvements to error messages, better clarifying which service originates the error, would be very useful.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 10:17 PM