none
Unable to install Expression Web 4 Free version RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to install Expression Web 4 Free version.  Can anyone help???  I am unable to include the error log because it is to big.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:33 PM

All replies

• There's nothing in the error dialog to give us a clue. Can you glean anything from the error log? What do the first few failure message say?

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

• Edited by Ian Haynes Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:00 PM spelling
    Tuesday, September 10, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Hope this helps.

Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\798EA96EB0E9C584582587144FD8248D.  System error 5.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.
    MSI (s) (50:FC) [09:07:50:450]: Product: Microsoft Expression Web 4 -- Error 1402. Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\798EA96EB0E9C584582587144FD8248D.  System error 5.  Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

9:07:33 AM Tuesday, September 10, 2013: Info: Config_Products_InstallNew: Product: Microsoft Expression Web 4 Params: d:\16f5b2f6bcc61bb71a4cc0341a3c19\Setup\Web_en.msi ADDLOCAL=ALL RegisterProductUrl="**********" ReadmeOnlineFileUrl="**********" ReadmeComponentGuid="**********" INSTALLLICENSES="**********" PROOFOFPURCHASE="**********" FORCEPRODUCTKEY="**********" APPID="**********" APPID="**********" ARPNOMODIFY="**********" ARPNOREPAIR="**********" USERACCEPTSEULA="**********"
    9:07:50 AM Tuesday, September 10, 2013: An error occurred installing the Web_en.msi package. Error: Could not open key: UNKNOWN\Components\DA42BC89BF25F5BD0AF18C3B9B1A1EE8\798EA96EB0E9C584582587144FD8248D.   Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel. .
    9:07:59 AM Tuesday, September 10, 2013: Error: Config_Products_Install: Installation of Product Microsoft Expression Web 4 (failed): Fatal error during installation. Stack:    at Microsoft.WindowsInstaller.Installer.InstallProduct(String packagePath, String commandLine)       at XSetup.MsiPackage.ConfigureNewInstall(Product product)       at XSetup.Product.ConfigureNewProduct()
    9:07:59 AM Tuesday, September 10, 2013: Info: Config_Products_InstallNew: End installation of new product: Microsoft Expression Web 4

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 2:59 PM
  • This appears to be some sort of security or permissions issue. Have you tried running the installer as an administrator? (right-click 'Run as Administrator').

Ian Haynes

EW - V4 Add-Ins
    EW - Resources, hints and tips
    EW - Design for the Mobile Complete Web
    expression(web.blog)

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Since I am the only user on this PC and UAC is totally turned off I did not think I had to do that.  Anyway, I just tried running it as an administrator and ended up with the same problem.  If you have an email addr. I would be happy to send you the entire log file.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 4:46 PM
  • Since I am the only user on this PC and UAC is totally turned off I did not think I had to do that.  Anyway, I just tried running it as an administrator and ended up with the same problem.  If you have an email addr. I would be happy to send you the entire log file.

Umm... unfortunately, we are not Microsoft techs. This is a user to user forum, and we have absolutely no technical or engineering documentation, no troubleshooting tools, nothing to analyze an error log or memory dump with. All we can do is offer what we have seen to be resolutions here or elsewhere. Microsoft, even when the product was still actively developed, never offered tech support here, and only very rarely showed a presence here, one which has pretty much vanished since last December's announcement.

If you were using a paid version, MS does offer support for a fee ($99/$259 email/phone, per incident), but there is, perhaps understandably, no support of any kind offered for the free version. Don't know what to tell you—sorry...

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

• Edited by paladyn Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:51 AM
    Thursday, September 12, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Your issue is with registry permissions.  Your best bet is to look for information on how to fix them.  One thing to try, if you are comfortable making registry changes (and know how to back it up first), is the following: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx

... no guarentees.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:26 AM
  • I followed the instructions in the above link (might not have worked because I'm running 64bit).  Still was unable to install Microsoft Expression Web 4.

I have decided  to give up trying and stick with DreamWeaver as a web development tool.

I've had it with Microsoft especially after their stupid decision to no longer send file deleted from a SubSt drive to the recycle bin!!!

Next PC will be an Apple.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 2:27 PM
  • I've had it with Microsoft especially after their stupid decision to no longer send file deleted from a SubSt drive to the recycle bin!!!

Next PC will be an Apple.

Interesting. And how does OSX treat files deleted from Subst drives? Does OSX even have the equivalent of the DOS subst command? In any event, it's good to hear that you can afford to reproduce all of your Windows-compatible software with OSX-compatible versions. Enjoy your new OS.

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, September 13, 2013 2:10 AM