Superpreview email activation step RRS feed

• Question

• Newly installed and activated EW 4 installed smoothly and works fine - except for the Remote Browser feature of Superpreview.
    "Click Sign up and then Activate to initialize the SuperPreview online service."
    The "About" popup from SuperPreview correctly shows "This is a fully licensed and activated copy."
    I click the Activate link, enter my email address, and get the next pop-up saying an email has been sent to me.
    I have tried several times in the last 24 hours, and have used 2 different active email addresses (different domains) in case of system problems on the receiving end. No activation email received in either account, not in spam boxes either.

Is there typically a long delay from time activation requested until this email is sent to the user?
    I did not find other posts here (or elsewhere) re this odd circumstance.
    Could this be a glitch in my particular install, or a log jam in the MS system?
    I hesitate to tweak my computer, it has run quite well with Win7 for a long time . . .

Any tips will be appreciated. The browser preview was a selling point for me.
    Nancy

Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:05 PM

Answers

All replies

• It should normally only take about 5 minutes. There could be an issue at the Microsoft end - if no one's around on the weekend to see your post you may have to wait until Monday.

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Microsoft MVP - Expression Web
    Spider Web Woman Designs
    Expression Web Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/xweb/
    Expression Web Wiki: http://expression-web-wiki.com/
    FrontPage Resources: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Saturday, April 16, 2011 7:28 PM
  • Yeah, like Kathleen says, be patient. Shoot, for the better part of a week (or maybe still, for all I know ;-) it was impossible to download the EW trial from Microsoft's own Products site. Great marketing...

So, don't be too surprised, or discouraged. For a corporate behemoth the size of Microsoft, and especially given the business they're in, they just can't seem to get the whole "Web thing" right (this forum software being a perfect example).

Give it time, wait until business hours Monday, and try again if you haven't received a response. Or just blow it off and use Adobe's BrowserLabs instead.  ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:06 PM
  • Yes, I am having the exact problem to activate the SuperPreview online service.  I haven't received any email yet. 

Doris

Doris Chen
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 9:37 PM
  • I had no trouble, and it took very little time ... but I did it before this past week, where all the reports of download issues and activation email delays are popping up. 
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:16 PM
  • Thank you all for your comments - and they were speedy responses!
    Good news, bad news -
    Good to hear this is not a problem in my "equipment".
    Not good to hear MS has such problems managing their own systems.
    'Nuff said . . .

I will be patient -
    Regards to all
    Nancy

Saturday, April 16, 2011 11:03 PM
  • I am also not getting the emails from this forum that say "Another user has replied to a thread you have subscribed to in the Expression Web and SuperPreview Forum". Could be a related issue.

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Spider Web Woman Designs

Sunday, April 17, 2011 12:00 PM
  • No, Kathleen. That's a "feature" of this execrable forum software. It seems to have been a problem since Day One. I never use that feature, but there have been plenty of people complaining over the past couple of years that it doesn't work (at least not reliably).
    Deep down, I'm real shallow.
    Sunday, April 17, 2011 2:30 PM
  • As Bill said the notification "feature" of this forum has been plaqued with issues. Either it doesn't work at all or you go notifications six months later. For awhile if you had notifications set in your profile half or more of your replies would never appear. So most of us turned then off and when just check backer subscribe to the RSS feed.

Sort of like the reply box uses very time text maybe 60-70% of the final post text size. Something I really wish MS would fix but the post editor seems to got worse every time MS "updates" the forum editor.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Monday, April 18, 2011 12:53 AM
  • The problem is being fixed today and backlogged requests should be processed once the fix is implemented.

~ Kathleen Anderson
    Spider Web Woman Designs

Monday, April 18, 2011 5:34 PM
  • Yeah !  
    I received the activation email this morning.
    SuperPreview works as expected.
    Thanks for your responses.
    Nancy

Monday, April 18, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hello. I have been trying to activate the online service and I have the same problem as the other users indicated a couple months ago. Your response states that the problem was fixed in April.... How can get the activation email?

Thanks.

Monday, June 20, 2011 3:37 PM
  • Yes, I also am not receiving the activation emails. 
    • Proposed as answer by Alex Moskwa Monday, June 20, 2011 9:08 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Alex Moskwa Monday, June 20, 2011 9:08 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 4:31 PM
  • To those having trouble receiving an activation e-mail.  Please e-mail superbug (at) microsoft.com so that we may have a record of your e-mail address.  Then we can look into our system on our end and verify that an activation e-mail has indeed been sent.

Thanks,
    Alex Moskwa
    Program Manager
    Expression Web & SuperPreview

• Proposed as answer by Alex Moskwa Monday, June 20, 2011 9:12 PM
    Monday, June 20, 2011 9:11 PM
  • And, just in case it isn't obvious: check your spam filters and junk folders.  :)
    Monday, June 20, 2011 10:04 PM
  • For those of you who have contacted us through superbug, we are actively investigating this issue. The e-mail addresses sent to us have been a very helpful reference point.

Alex Moskwa
    Program Manager
    Expression Web & SuperPreview.

Thursday, June 23, 2011 11:52 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem. Here is my email to superbug (at) microsoft.com:

I've entered my email address in the "Online Service Activation" window of 
    SuperPreview and have not received an email. I have selected the "Resend e-mail" 
    button with no success.
    I'm really surprised that Microsoft hasn't fixed this issue. As an application 
    developer I would certainly be required to address this immediately for any piece of 
    production software I developed. It's difficult for me to understand the company that 
    certified my ability to develop software can't even do it themselves.

Tom

Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Did you read the bloody thread? They are working on it. A representative returned to thank those who have sent their addresses separately to the investigation group for their help. That was Thursday, less than 48 hours ago. What more do you want?

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 3:09 AM
  • First off: this thread was started on April 16th, not 48 hours ago. Regardless of the statement in the first post, "I did not find other posts here (or elsewhere) re this odd circumstance." this is not the only place this has been discussed.
    Which leads me back to my point that this issue should be resolved by now or that functionality pulled from the production release until it is resolved.
    What is your problem with this point?
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 2:59 PM
  • The point is that web servers get screwed up. Yes, the first time it happened was in April. It was fixed. Something broke again and within 48 hours of the report that there was another problem MS is back working on it.

You try managing a website the size of Microsoft.com distributed in centers throughout the world and we'll see how many issues you have to attend to from broken links to servers getting out of sync. Which I suspect may be the issue with the activation emails but that's just a WAG (wild arsed guess) based on previous activation issues I've seen over the decades I've been involved with the web.

Free Expression Web Tutorials
    For an Expression Web forum with without the posting issues try expressionwebforum.com
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 4:17 PM
  • There is not one person managing "...a website the size of Microsoft.com..." So your inference that I couldn't do any better is meaningless. Your comment about it being an issue which has been fixed before only underscores Microsoft's failure.

I'm a consumer of Microsoft products and have provided feedback about a product and how they are handling recurring issues with the product. My WAG is that Microsoft will ignore what I've said. Or, maybe they'll get enough consumers providing similar feedback and develop a process to better deal with recurring issues in the future. I'll leave it up to them. I will continue providing my feedback and don't really understand why others take issue with that.

Sunday, June 26, 2011 5:44 PM
  • "I will continue providing my feedback and don't really understand why others take issue with that."

Others take issue with that because of the attitude you evidenced from the get-go. By the 4th sentence of your initial post you had assumed the tone of a self-righteous little prig, and presumed to tell Microsoft how to run their business. That tone has continued, unabated, This is a user-to-user forum; we don't care what you think of Microsoft, and it's that that people took issue with.

If you'd care to come down off your high horse, everyone would be glad to help if they can. That's true of any user-to-user forum, web-wide. People respond in like.

The bird, the bee, the running child are all the same to the sliding glass door. Dimitri Martin
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:27 PM
  • I never presumed to tell Microsoft how to run their business, not even in the 4th sentence of my initial post. I underscored what Microsoft preaches but does not follow. You stated, "...we don't care what you think of Microsoft..." Your response contradicts that very sentiment.
    Monday, June 27, 2011 1:57 AM
  • SuperPreview Online is a BETA service and is not a feature of EW  ... as the activation email clearly states, when you eventually get it.  In other words: you haven't paid for it, and MS is under no obligation to provide it or continue it, although I certainly hope they do.

Monday, June 27, 2011 2:17 AM