The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Azure Virtual Machines!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
forgot admin user name RRS feed

• Question

• Have a VM, forgot username.  I can never find the username@domain string.  Where is it hiding?

I remember this being kind of hidden, like you had to go into cloud services, then list VMs, then you could see the administrator login.

But I can't find it now.  Where do I find this admin logon string?   Can't remember if it is username "admin" or "admin@machine" etc.

Thank you!

• Edited by meddle01 Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:35 PM
    Thursday, October 16, 2014 3:09 PM

Answers

• Hi meddle01;

Thanks for the post and sorry to know about your problem.

As of now there is no way we can get the username if its is forgotten,

As a workaround if you want to recover the Data from the Azure VM, you can first take a backup (as a fail safe) delete the VM but keep the disc, attach that VM as data disk to other Azure VM and get the data back.

How to: Attach an existing disk

Attaching an existing disk requires that you have a .vhd available in a storage account. Use the Add-AzureVhd cmdlet to upload the .vhd file to the storage account. After you've created and uploaded the .vhd file, you can attach it to a virtual machine.

1. Click Virtual Machines, and then select the appropriate virtual machine.

2. On the command bar, click Attach, and then select Attach Disk.

Attach data disk

The Attach Disk dialog box appears.

Enter data disk details

3. Select the data disk that you want to attach to the virtual machine.

4. Click the check mark to attach the data disk to the virtual machine.

You will now see the data disk listed on the dashboard of the virtual machine.

Data disk successfully attached

NOTE:

After you add a data disk, you'll need to log on to the virtual machine and initialize the disk so the virtual machine can use the disk for storage and then you could access the data. Sorry for the inconvenience hope this helps.

Warm Regards

Prasant

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:09 PM