none
Apps for Office replaces VBA, right RRS feed

• Question

• I just hacked my way through a simple 'excel calls a sqlserver-based spoc; passes a param; and displays the resultset' vba macro. Biggest take away was how spoiled I am by C# and VS tooling. It was a painful, painful time suck. But since my organization has migrated to Office365 I don't need to depend on VBA, do I? Apps for Office can achieve everything VBA can but lets me stay within VS2013 to do so. Please, please, please say yes.

Saturday, October 12, 2013 6:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>But since my organization has migrated to Office365 I don't need to depend on VBA, do I? <<

No. Office 365 is a cloud based service, once users are on the Internet, they can access their Office 365 services. It could also be used through the desktop Office. The VBA macro would be still available while using the Desktop Office.

>>Apps for Office can achieve everything VBA can but lets me stay within VS2013 to do so. <<

No. Office Apps and VBA are 2 different Application architecture. And I don’t think we could use Office Apps to replace VBA, they have different scenarios to use.

To help you to understand the Apps of Office and VBA, here is an article for your reference: Roadmap for Apps for Office, VSTO, and VBA.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>But since my organization has migrated to Office365 I don't need to depend on VBA, do I? <<

No. Office 365 is a cloud based service, once users are on the Internet, they can access their Office 365 services. It could also be used through the desktop Office. The VBA macro would be still available while using the Desktop Office.

>>Apps for Office can achieve everything VBA can but lets me stay within VS2013 to do so. <<

No. Office Apps and VBA are 2 different Application architecture. And I don’t think we could use Office Apps to replace VBA, they have different scenarios to use.

To help you to understand the Apps of Office and VBA, here is an article for your reference: Roadmap for Apps for Office, VSTO, and VBA.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:38 PM
  • That Roadmap omits a mention of VBA Addins. It's the current easiest path of adding functionality without the risks of document-level macros.

Monday, October 14, 2013 3:41 PM
  • Excel-DNA (which I develop) is a free library that allows you to create full-featured Excel add-ins using .NET (including high-performance and async UDF worksheet functions, RTD servers, UI customization etc).

So, in contrast with Apps for Office which does not give you much access to the Excel object model, with Excel-DNA you can achieve "everything VBA can but lets me stay within VS2013 to do so". And more. 

-Govert

Excel-DNA - Free and easy .NET for Excel

Monday, November 18, 2013 9:07 PM