Reproduce VS2010 IntelliSense/code completion in VS2012 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Ever since we upgraded to VS2012, I've had a problem with how IntelliSense and code completion work for VB.NET projects.

In VS2010, I used to type "Dim lstItems As New List(" and it would not insert anything, just give me insertion suggestions. I would complete the statement by typing "Of String)".

However, in VS2012, when I type "Dim lstItems As New List(", it automatically inserts/completes code, so my code comes out as "Dim lstItems As New List(Of()".

This is really disconcerting and breaks my mental flow when programming. I've googled the problem on and off for months now, and never found a solution, other than completely turning off IntelliSense.

Is there any way to reproduce the VS2010 (Of T) behaviour in VS2012?

Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:37 AM

Answers

• "I used to type "Dim lstItems As New List(" and it would not insert anything, just give me insertion suggestions. I would complete the statement by typing "Of String)"."

That's the way my version of WDExpress.exe works.  As far as I know this is the default behavior.

"I type "Dim lstItems As New List(", it automatically inserts/completes code, so my code comes out as "Dim lstItems As New List(Of()"."

To restate:  This behavior doesn't occur on my installation of VS2012E desktop.  The only option I have changed from default is Tabs.  My installation was a clean installation with no previous version of VS on the system.  I can't find an obvious option that might change this behavior.

• Edited by JohnWein Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Youen Zen Friday, June 21, 2013 7:46 AM
    Tuesday, June 11, 2013 7:59 PM

All replies