How to use visual studio 2013 to work on BizTalk solution created in visual studio 2012 with others? RRS feed

• Question

• I have visual studio 2012 and 2013 and BizTalk 2013 R2 installed on my machine, others have only Visual Studio 2012 and BizTalk 2013 installed.

The problem I have is if I making changes inside the solution and check the solution file into TFS, others using visual studio 2012 will have problem to open it, because the solution file is in 2013 now.

If I want to use visual studio 2012 open the solution, each project files inside the solution won't get recognized because I don't have BizTalk 2013 installed.

Is there anyway I can collaborate with others to work on this solution on my machine?

Thank you.

• Moved by John Qiao Monday, February 15, 2016 1:56 AM
    Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:25 PM

Answers

• Is there anyway I can collaborate with others to work on this solution on my machine?

Yes, by uninstalling BizTalk Server 2013 R2 form your machine and installing BizTalk Server 2013 (R1) on your machine so you match the rest of the team and presumably your production BizTalk setup.

The key point is that all the DEV machines, yours included, must match the eventual PROD setup.

Additionally, each version of the BizTalk Server Design Tools (SDK) support only one version of Visual Studio.  You cannot mix them.

Fill details can be found here:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj248697.aspx

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:47 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi Xiao Han,

Thanks for your post.

If you created the solution in VS 2013/BizTalk 2013 environment, other users need installed the same VS 2013/BizTalk 2013 environment on their clients if they want open your solution.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 12, 2016 7:03 AM
  • Hi Xiao Han,

Thanks for your post.

If you created the solution in VS 2013/BizTalk 2013 environment, other users need installed the same VS 2013/BizTalk 2013 environment on their clients if they want open your solution.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't create the solution, the solution was created under BizTalk 2013 and Visual Studio 2012.

I have BizTalk 2013 R2, not BizTalk 2013 and Visual Studio 2012 and 2013 installed. I have no problem to open the solution using Visual Studio 2013, but not with Visual Studio 2012 because there is no compatible BizTalk components installed for this Visual Studio version.

And I am not sure whether there is anyway it can solve my problem.

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:23 PM
  • Hi Xiao Han,  

Thanks for your reply.

It seems this issue relate to VS 2012 integrate with BizTalk components, I moved this post to BizTalk forum for the better response.  

Monday, February 15, 2016 1:55 AM
  • HI Xiao,

All BizTalk Versions are being tightly coupled with Visual Studio . 

So if your Environment is BizTalk 2013 then you need to use VS 2012 . There is no work around to develop it in BizTalk 2013R2 with VS 2013 and downgrade it to VS 2012 .

So option left is to work with 2012 VS and remain consistent with your Development envioronment .

Thanks

Abhishek

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply

Monday, February 15, 2016 2:48 AM
  • Is there anyway I can collaborate with others to work on this solution on my machine?

Yes, by uninstalling BizTalk Server 2013 R2 form your machine and installing BizTalk Server 2013 (R1) on your machine so you match the rest of the team and presumably your production BizTalk setup.

The key point is that all the DEV machines, yours included, must match the eventual PROD setup.

Additionally, each version of the BizTalk Server Design Tools (SDK) support only one version of Visual Studio.  You cannot mix them.

Fill details can be found here:  https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj248697.aspx

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:47 AM
    Monday, February 15, 2016 1:22 PM