none
How to prevent client to create proxy by add reference from VS IDE RRS feed

• Question

• suppose i have developed a web service and i want i will ditribute the proxy class to client and then client can add that proxy class to their project to make call of my service but if client some how know the url of my wcf service then he/she will not be to create proxy classes by adding reference from VS IDE.

just tell me what are the area i need to disable in my service when i will design it.

if i remove mex endpoint & httpgeturl = false then will it sufficient ? or anything extra i need to configure ?

i consume one wcf service where company just give me the wsdl & proxy classes. from wsdl i got the service url but when i try to add that service url as add reference from VS IDE then windows auth login diolog comes. so i could not create proxy from VS ide then i just add their proxy related .cs file and call the service. so i like to know how people design their in this way. looking for discussion. thanks

Thursday, April 3, 2014 2:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>just guide me what i need to do to prevent client to create proxy classes from VS IDE if they know my service ur.

I think maybe you can use some authentication, for example username and password authentication. Then even though that the client knows the service uri, but if the client does not know the username and password, then it will can not access the service.

Beest Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Mou_kolkata Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:03 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 8:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>if i remove mex endpoint & httpgeturl = false then will it sufficient ? or anything extra i need to configure ?

When adding a service reference, it will generates a proxy. In order to generate proxies, we need the information based on Metadata Exchange (mex). When you remove mex endpoint & httpgeturl = false, then you are not providing meta data in WSDL format. Then in that way you can not add a service reference.

>> consume one wcf service where company just give me the wsdl & proxy classes. from wsdl i got the service url but when i try to add that service url as add reference from VS IDE then windows auth login diolog comes. so i could not create proxy from VS ide then i just add their proxy related .cs file and call the service. so i like to know how people design their in this way.

Sounds like that service will use the windows authentication, if you do not have the windows credential, then it seems that you can not add the service reference.

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, April 4, 2014 9:31 AM
  • basically i want that if client know my service url then he/she will not be able to create proxy from VS IDE just adding service reference. now the question is if client will be able to create proxy then how they will be able to consume & call my service.

i will provide proxy related classes to client and then client will be able to call my service.

just guide me what i need to do to prevent client to create proxy classes from VS IDE if they know my service ur.

thanks

Monday, April 7, 2014 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

>>just guide me what i need to do to prevent client to create proxy classes from VS IDE if they know my service ur.

I think maybe you can use some authentication, for example username and password authentication. Then even though that the client knows the service uri, but if the client does not know the username and password, then it will can not access the service.

Beest Regards,
    Amy Peng

• Marked as answer by Mou_kolkata Saturday, April 19, 2014 6:03 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 8:59 AM