Multiplayer Games

Question

• Everywhere I look, I find tutorials and information about using WinRT's PeerFinder API to create a multiplayer game. Of course, this means that the players must be in the vicinity of each other.

But, what about making a host/client multiplayer game? How would I go about creating a multiplayer match across the world? Without, using Xbox services, of course.

Friday, April 04, 2014 12:27 PM

Answers

• Match-making across all devices on the Internet is extremely challenging. This is one of the key features of The Xbox Live for Windows service. There are of course numerous other issues with security, cheating, etc.

The key issue is that just having the IP address is not sufficient to ensure connectivity. Using IPv6 and Teredo is one possible solution.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457042.aspx

Monday, April 07, 2014 5:55 PM

All replies

• You'll need to set up a matchmaking server and have the clients connect to it. It can then pair them off and facilitate communications. If the clients have publicly available network addresses then it can introduce them and they can talk directly to each other.

There isn't anything built in for this so you'll need to either build your own or find a third party implementation. If you are using Unity3d then check out http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/net-MasterServer.html

Friday, April 04, 2014 2:27 PM
    Owner
  • I'm not using Unity. Instead, I'm doing this with DirectX. Would I be able to do this with Windows Azure?

My current Idea is to allow the player to create or join a game. When creating a game, the player's IP address would be uploaded to Windows Azure, making a table of IP Addresses. Then when another player clicks "join", he'll be presented with the table of "players" from Azure. Once he chooses someone to play, I'll then set up a streamsocket between the two players allowing them to communicate through TCP.

So, is this generally how the process is usually done? If so, do you see anything wrong with this?

Thanks.

• Edited by DualOpAmp Monday, April 07, 2014 5:39 PM
    Monday, April 07, 2014 5:38 PM
  • Match-making across all devices on the Internet is extremely challenging. This is one of the key features of The Xbox Live for Windows service. There are of course numerous other issues with security, cheating, etc.

The key issue is that just having the IP address is not sufficient to ensure connectivity. Using IPv6 and Teredo is one possible solution.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457042.aspx

Monday, April 07, 2014 5:55 PM
  • Are there any libraries that could assist in multiplayer games, that are supported by Windows 8? I would like to use Xbox services, but from my understanding, the game has to be accepted by Microsoft Studios to use these services for a Windows 8 game. Although, I will try to get the game Xbox live-enabled, I would like a backup solution. Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:07 PM
  • You can use AppWarp Windows SDK by ShepHertz Technologies for your multiplayer game.It offers a good support and i personally find the APIs very easy to use.You can find the documentation,tutorials and samples on their site.
    Friday, March 20, 2015 10:54 AM