How can I Open Source a LS Project RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am now moving on as I don't have the resources of the physical and mental health to work in code or make my concept into a business on my own. I am being taken care of and learning to work through my disability with help from DDSI. I am however wondering what to do with all of my gathered info for my project and the Lightswitch solution as it stands now.

The applicationdefinition.lsml doesn't seem to still be visible and available for me to post the raw code anymore from the project file. I have very limited notes on the creation of the project database design, UI control layouts and properties, security permissions setups and added code for functionality in C#. What I do have is lots of info on what things I wanted to include in the project in the form of loose documents drawings and pictures as well as an archive of my old web page. I was the sole developer of this project along with form posts primarily here on MSDN and so my working developing project served as my notes on what I had finished. Also There are several Excel templates I've used with various techniques to move the data into the forms I was creating for reports and administration. My final technique was tested out using a separate project with role playing using a power pivot table that was flattened to the row and columns with a single dimension of a slicer. For my project the plan was to do the same to flatten out the DB and use Patient instances as the extra dimensional slicer and a flattened pivot table overlaid on the excel table and use =cell,"contents" to move the data to hidden and locked processing sheets to then be imported into he final active sheets with =cell. I can probably dump all of the document onto a file share somewhere. There is limited info I can share about Reference Evidence Based Practice info. I have permission to share the name of the service I was considering for constant up to date medication info and I have a few text document of things to import like medication names, classification, procedure names and codes, And diagnosis names and codes that can be used but must be cited in the final print reports.

That leaves me with the issue of how to share the project file. It is currently running in VS 2012 with a handful of extensions all running in out beloved LightSwitch deluxe API like environment for a C# Desktop solution. Without assess to the applicationdefinition.lsml and with my computer not allowing me to zip up the project file into a package file I can hand out with instructions on how to setup the environment. I'm also unclear if there is a way to host the project online as it stands now especially with the 2020 date looming for depreciating LightSwich and Silverlight. If anyone has idea on how I can open source or use a GNU like an MIT License to make this available to the public and for it to still be useful and beneficial in the future. This was something I put a lot of heart into while trying to both find a way to pay the bills and as a former nurse with thought on how deliver better care targeted at the long term care environment I would love to see it still used.
    Friday, September 14, 2018 10:04 PM

All replies

• reigh7, very sorry about your situation. I too have had labor of love projects not reach fruition. Very disheartening. 

I don't have any good answers for you, but it sounds like you have some good stuff that could be very useful to somebody. I know I'd be interested in looking over your techniques for moving data in and our of Excel. I hope you can find a good home for your code.

Best wishes,

Stephen Barash

Saturday, September 15, 2018 1:35 AM
  • Well Maybe if you keep in touch or live in King County we can connect up. Right now I'm between current versions of Office working off of an older retail copy of mine and don't have Office 365. I plan to once I save up for and pay for basic household stuff to increase my monthly budget for things like office 365. Once I do that I can actually focus on setting up the same scenario with my data moving into excel as my side project demonstrated. I'd need some time to work on that but still plan to make this all available. It would just require less explanation and more demonstration if I set it up directly. It's really not that complicated though so I'll do my best to explain next here.

So Power Pivot as an add on for office 2010 and included afterwards. I had it setup so that using windows "special folders" file structure it would be able to call within any users "documents folder" or SharePoint or similar file share location open the saved template. Each user would have different permission on whether they could use the button to open one of these template files. The Template file when launched uses the Encryption protection and you have to type in a separate set of credentials then your LightSwitch Application permissions. Then Each individuals permissions for the LightSwitch application come into play again because the template document when initially setup has to have that individual login credentials and the connection string to the as I propose onsite application. Then it's the application that manages what data like private patient data is onsite and what services externally on the cloud or otherwise that provide internet services with evidence based reference info. The Power Pivot table then can import everything gathered by the application and can be updated using the update button for it in excel only updating what has not already been imported and indexed to save time.

The Power Pivot table is a bit like an graphic in that it sits over the cells as an over lay but it's a tabulated spreadsheet. The Slicers are button to filter based on an additional variable not in the two dimensional table. Based on that slicers dimension like a patient, campaign, character and flattening the table just silos all the fields into columns in a know position. It's also why some limited use of non normalized data was useful to me like setting the max number of meds at 40 so I would know in a flattened table were the fields column would be made by the flattened table.

So then interesting note the cell under the over lay of the pivot table can see the string in that cell in the pivot table so you can move the contents around by using a =Cell function on a different sheet to grab the set of fields you need to do a useful task. Say I want to compare several values in a function of build useful concatenated strings or both compare and then build the useful string to create something concrete and concise via a fairly simple recognized pattern that you might have to otherwise hand chart or write out and maintain. One example would be just the list of abnormals in all the recent labs with their associated Lab Panel name and Date but not all those WLN (Within Normal Limits). This all takes place on a excel sheet that is separate from the page with the Pivot Table for filtering and manipulating the data and also separate from the report page a person administering or reading would view it's an interim step. To protect that layer as well these sheets are hidden and then locked with a password from the developer like me so the templates can stay robust and hard to make falter. In the end though they never are able to change the imported database structurally or add data so replacing the template with a new blank template would always solve the issues of tampering.

The second use case is to prepare many of these processing sheets I sometimes call them to each perform a small task but each with a certain portion of a final report that is much like a highly formatted form letter. Here less concerned about the space to lay out and manipulate data to be displayed and in a much more grid like programmatic fashion before being used.

Then on the Report/Administration sheet you can get creative with layout of information, having it be braced by a color sliver cell to indicate what color to either manually or conditionally within excel format or color highlight it when it's string is significant and needs a raised level of alert. That cuts back on the alert fatigue but also increases the conative recognition that at certain type of issue is happening by the positional and format or color of a note. Then information can always be looked up if more is needed.

It also makes it easy to include optional information in boxes that would be convenient but separate enough to be ignored when that information isn't and would take away from the time to do normal tasks. It makes that stuff you used to have to look up a persons call to read above for instance in medication what we consider the five rights to administer a medication. That said having some additional inhouse generated; administration/assessment info, classifications, Dr. ordering info and phone number, relevant related lab types to look up first. Those are good key things to remind both aging and new grad nurses as a kind way then to run back to lookup style references. Doing it automatically or even with a learning algorithm to allow nurses putting in orders to slowly build using the PDR info display in an aside window during order creation and receive suggestion from a machine learning system that looks at the effectiveness or decrease in medication errors and the same PDR info. Doing this automatically would eventually build up a data set to automatically fill out all of this extra info and would cut back on extra time for normal workflow in transcribing orders inhouse.

The last piece of the puzzle was a little VBA script that I never quite got down to manipulate and print out the report pages with data filled in on them based on the number of meds per patient with a +4 to leave some blank templates for the hand written in ones that come up during a normal month. Then to loop that print method per patient either somehow the ones check and filtered by a nurse coming on shift for custom kardex notes per shift or to print out all patients in the records for the monthly MAR Medication Administration Record sheets for each floor.

Then later people would update their notes in a LightSwich UI for the next month meds or after their shift before doing report so the next shift would have things pre printed out like the list of med times on each patient Kardex block, and any of that attention getting formatting or important useful daily info based on my existing templates. That would leave people with a reference to help with the thinking processes involved in delivering care and put them in front of the patient and not out looking for the info to take care of the patient. Inherently that's how the data gets updated either by shift notes or by monthly or semi monthly updates from the people maintaining the MAR much like a charge nurse or director of nursing Before the state at which they choose to update the print records. Print records which are still familiar and standard for various reasons including portability in an emergency including fire evacuation or power outages. Also I found that digital records are harder to flip through, leave and come back to securely all while saving your place reliably especially when they require a large number of signature initialing per patient per med per time given. Paper records just excel at that when the notebooks of records on shelves can be wheeled out as one or the medication record notebook can be locked up and also wheeled to patients doors or out of the building. Putting a notebook in a drawer that locks itself and just opening it back up when you return is fast when running in and out of rooms. Having that data though in an electronic medium to look up something on the condensed record for a patient or having it indexed for search works great when the location of a specific result in a notebook is unclear or takes hand searching.

• Edited by reigh7 Saturday, September 15, 2018 4:40 AM
    Saturday, September 15, 2018 4:26 AM