BAM Portal results ORDERED BY [ActivityID] RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a quick question, there was a previous issue with the BAM portal where the results were ordered by the ActivityID and hence the portal failed to show the last modified records.

There is a "work around" where you could choose a milestone and modify a time based operator to give you "in the last" result.

The main issue was fixed in BizTalk Server 2010 CU3 (support.microsoft.com/kb/2617149) description of the fix in KB 2625919 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2625919).

Now I'm experiencing the same issue in BizTalk Server 2013 (not R2).

Does anybody know if the fix is implemented in BizTalk Server 2013?

In the description of KB 2625919, you can find this: "Note After you apply this cumulative update, you can configure the sorting feature to use the value of the LastModifiedDate database column instead of the value of the activityID database column. When the value of the LastModifiedDate database column is used to sort the results, the latest records are displayed first in the results."

Does anybody know where this configuration is made?
    The KB failed to supply that information.

Thanks in advance!
    Piotr

Tuesday, November 25, 2014 4:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Piotr,

When a new version of product is released, it’s always assumed that previous bug fixes  or CUs are either fixed in the newer version or CUs or bug fixes are also included as part the deployment package for the newer version of the product. So I assume Microsoft would have fixed this issue in 2013 for which it had a fix in 2010. Again it’s my assumption and there is no official word in specific to this bug from Microsoft.

And regarding the configuration, as mentioned in the KB, better option is to contact Microsoft support and get the authentic solution for configuring the portal to use the value of the LastModifiedDate for sorting directly from the product vendor rather than from public forum. There is another similar open question without even receving single reply. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cfcc0efe-7444-45b4-a5c1-094ba59ec3eb/bam-portal-sorting-feature?forum=biztalkgeneral

I would reckon you to contact Microsoft support to get reliable information.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, December 1, 2014 8:40 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Piotr,

When a new version of product is released, it’s always assumed that previous bug fixes  or CUs are either fixed in the newer version or CUs or bug fixes are also included as part the deployment package for the newer version of the product. So I assume Microsoft would have fixed this issue in 2013 for which it had a fix in 2010. Again it’s my assumption and there is no official word in specific to this bug from Microsoft.

And regarding the configuration, as mentioned in the KB, better option is to contact Microsoft support and get the authentic solution for configuring the portal to use the value of the LastModifiedDate for sorting directly from the product vendor rather than from public forum. There is another similar open question without even receving single reply. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cfcc0efe-7444-45b4-a5c1-094ba59ec3eb/bam-portal-sorting-feature?forum=biztalkgeneral

I would reckon you to contact Microsoft support to get reliable information.

If this answers your question please mark it accordingly. If this post is helpful, please vote as helpful by clicking the upward arrow mark next to my reply.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Monday, December 1, 2014 8:40 AM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 6:04 PM
  • I have come to rely on the BizTalk community for a lot of answers and I thought I give it a shot as I did not find an answer through serches. Did'n see the other thread you referenced, must have missed that one.

The reason I posted the question is that if this is a configuration issue, then the information should be available online, together with the original KB and definitely in the product documentation. As it is, this is about a SQL query, not rocket science, BizTalk DevOps are quite used to do all kind of configuration and this, I assume, is no different.

If the solution is to get in contact in order to get a new assembly or other resource that cannot be configured, then that should also be mentioned in the KB as well.

But it looks that I don't have any other option :)
    By the way, even Microsoft themselves refer to TechNet and forums.

Regards, Piotr

• Edited by Piotr Maik Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:43 PM
    Tuesday, November 25, 2014 8:10 PM
  • I agree with you. But I have seen in some of the KBs, Microsoft would ask them to be contacted for the fix. There are various reasons for it

• May be this requires to sign an agreement (online check box), if this may impact the performance of the existing portal
    • Or any security risk involved in the change.
    • Or the solution may not be required by many and Microsoft may want to have a track of customer who use this feature.

There are many reasons for Microsoft to have a KB and ask the customer to contract support team for further solution.

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 5:14 PM
  • I think another workaround is to increase the MaxResultRows dataset value to more than 2000(which is by default). You need to update the MaxResultRows to return large amount of records in the dataset,
    Something like this.We have worked this way while generating reports for BAM and it worked

<add key="MaxResultRows" value="8000"/>

Thanks

Abhishek

Wednesday, November 26, 2014 7:00 PM
  • Do you have BizTalk Server 2013 CU2? if not please install the same and see if your issue is resolved.

Else open a ticket with Microsoft, they will be able to give you private fix for this error.

Thanks,
    Prashant
    ----------------------------------------
    Please mark this post accordingly if it answers your query or is helpful.

Thursday, November 27, 2014 1:57 AM
  • Hi all,

@M.R.AshwinPrabhu: I get that, just in this case I do not see the need and, frankly, I think it's a hassle to contact support ;)

@Abhishek0127[Abhishek kumar]: I do not find that is a acceptable solution to the problem, you will just keep increasing the max row count as long as your bam tracking data grows?

@PRASHANT.1704: Yes I do have the CU2 installed, although no mention of the issue is made in the release notes for CU1 or CU2. I do believe the fix is already present in vanilla 2103 source code, just not the information about the configuration option.

I just have to ask the customer to open a support ticket.

Regards, Piotr

Thursday, November 27, 2014 8:29 AM