none
Custom Forms bug for Share Sharepoint Calendar in Outlook.? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Has anyone created a custom form for sharepoint calendar in outlook?  I was able to create one and use it to enter data to create calendar items.  But I have no luck in opening that item with the same custom form.  For some reason, it reverted back to default appointment form when trying to open that item.  In other words, sharepoint calendar allow custom forms to create new calendar appointments, but won't allow (the same custom form)  to view/edit its those appointments.  Pretty Strange! Any ideas?
    Monday, June 17, 2013 9:52 PM

All replies

• Try publishing your form to the Personal Forms library, and setting your form as the default form for the SharePoint Calendar (right click the folder, choose properties and select it in "When posting to this folder, use:" on the General tab.

Note that your custom fields will not get pushed to the SharePoint ListItem that's created.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...
    Outlook Appins: Store Social Media fields in your Outlook Contacts!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:57 PM
  • Eric,

It's not working.  I can set the custom form in Personal Forms library as default to enter data but upon saving the data, the message class reverts back to default IPM.  So when opening the event item that I just entered, the default form is popping up, not the custom form.

-Mike

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 4:00 PM
  • Are you adding any additional custom fields to it on the fly with code that may create a one-off form?  Do you have any code in the form?  Also keep in mind that using custom forms in SharePoint folders is not really supported.

Eric Legault MVP (Outlook)
    About me...

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:37 PM
  • Eric,

I am not adding any custom fields on the fly with code.  I do not have custom fields.  I have controls like check boxes but they are not bound to any columns.   I do have codes (vbscripts).  But those codes are for manipulating the controls(unbound) on the form.  How can I check whether that item is an one-off form?

-Mike

Monday, July 1, 2013 6:15 PM
  • Eric,

Looks like this is a confirmed bug or flaw with sharepoint calendars in Outlook.  I paste a link below.  It is confirmed that custom forms will not be retained in any shared sharepoint folders.  So users can enter data using custom forms but not open and view with it.  I thinks it is a flaw that MS needs to work on.  They offer this capability to integrate with sharepoint but not work with any of the elements.  Its like having a great new  feature of adaptive cruise control on your car but cannot turn on headlights while using it.

http://community.office365.com/en-us/forums/154/t/74962.aspx

-Mike

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 2:12 PM
  • I wouldn't say it's a bug.  Two-way synchronization was only ever intended to work with the standard item fields and standard forms.  Once you start customizing them you are wandering into unsupported, undocumented territory.  If you want to create SharePoint content from Outlook, I recommend you look towards building your UI on something other than custom forms.  Form Regions or Task Panes are good places to use Windows Form controls in conjunction with SharePoint Web Services or the Client Object Model to work with SharePoint data.

There are some 3rd party products that do this well, such as Colligo:

http://www.colligo.com/products/sharepoint/colligo-email-manager/

Eric Legault (MVP: Outlook)
    About me...

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 3:16 PM