none
Ethernet card works when the board boots up over KITL but not when it boots up from hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All, 

My hardware platform is x86 VIA M860 and WinCE 6.0 R3. When I boot the board via KITL the ethernet card works well; however if I boot the board from the hard drive, the ethernet port acquires an IP from the DHCP server but hangs when it sends substantial info over the network.

I have the HTTP server running. If I send a HTTP request to GET small file(s) it works. If the files or html page is more than (say, 300 bytes), the HTTP server starts sending the file but it hangs and stops transmission. TCP connections are not closed which makes me think that the network card itself stops operating.

I am thinking that the IRQ of the network card is shared and that might be causing issues. Does anyone know how to specify IRQ when the system boots from hard drive?

Is there a different explanation for this behavior?

Thank you!

• Edited by FER20 Saturday, March 29, 2014 3:10 AM
    Saturday, March 29, 2014 2:42 AM

All replies

• Can you check if the ethernet driver is enabled in the kernel or not. If not enable, build and test.

Check your catalog setting/environmental variable ...

--- Misbah 

Senior Design Engineer T.E.S Electroni Solutions (Bangalore-India) www.tes-dst.com email-misbah.khan@tes-dst.com

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 5:23 AM
  • Hello All, 

My hardware platform is x86 VIA M860 and WinCE 6.0 R3. When I boot the board via KITL the ethernet card works well; however if I boot the board from the hard drive, the ethernet port acquires an IP from the DHCP server but hangs when it sends substantial info over the network.

I have the HTTP server running. If I send a HTTP request to GET small file(s) it works. If the files or html page is more than (say, 300 bytes), the HTTP server starts sending the file but it hangs and stops transmission. TCP connections are not closed which makes me think that the network card itself stops operating.

I am thinking that the IRQ of the network card is shared and that might be causing issues. Does anyone know how to specify IRQ when the system boots from hard drive?

Is there a different explanation for this behavior?

Thank you!

I think I have same issue here; I use an IMX6 hardware running WEC2013 as OS. When Wifi dongle connected to server it can just move small files though same function can download bigger files from Ethernet connection.
    Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:28 PM
  • What do you mean by 

Check your catalog setting/environmental variable ...

I use BSP_NIC_RTWLANU (RealTek 8188CU/8188EU/8192CU).

Where should I check if it is enabled (It's included in BSP).

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:38 PM
  • Hi Keyvan,

Have you played with the packet sizes at all? Can you confirm that the same configuration used for the NIC when Kitl is working is still the same when Kitl is not present?

There is quite a bit o documentation available on MSDN around CE 6 Networking drivers... I recommend you start around here... https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/library/ee483596(v=winembedded.60).aspx

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Hi IoTGirl,

Thanks for the reply, I did check the link you posted but could not find any related Wifi, TCP or Real Tek driver Keys to help me changing packet size.

I have set following ev in my BSP.

BSP_NIC_RTLNWIFI and SYSGEN_ETH_80211_NWIFI; https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg158683.aspx

Closest thing I got in MSDN is this one

MTU and EnablePMTUDiscovery; https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn167252.aspx

The odd fact is Tcp communication is working well through Ethernet and just happens to timeout when I try to download files bigger than ~1KB through wifi (http/tcp).

Regards

/Keyvan

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:23 AM
  • Hi Keyvan,

Your answer is quite confusing. How are you doing KITL over Wifi?  It sounds like you are having a different issue than is initially stated in this bug.  Please start a new forums thread with the complete details of what you are hitting as it is not what the original poster of this issue described.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:01 PM
  • What is confusing? KITL is not enabled and I do not use KITL with WIFI; I send http request over wifi to server side and Use ethernet connection for deploying and debugging. I can HTTP GET just small files (~300 bytes), isn't it just close enough to this thread?

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 6:54 PM
  • Hi Keyvan,

This issue is titled "Ethernet card works when the board boots up over KITL but not when it boots up from hard drive". Your Ethernet card works without Kitl and has nothing to do with a hard drive. Please create a new thread and clearly state the issue you are hitting.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 9:24 PM