Registering a com dll RRS feed

• Question

• Folks,

Possibly you can point me in the right direction. I have created a com dll in Visual Studio 2010, vb.net. The dll is supposed to compile in the framework 3.5 for X86 processor. Should run anywhere right? I reference this from an Access application using vba. All works well on my development machine. I must also say that the project references an eBay sdk dll called ebay.service.dll. This file supports converting the .net commands into the appropriate soap commands to communicate with eBay. All this works well on the development machine when compiled. The files in the bin/debug folder are eBayListing.dll, eBayListing.tlb, and eBay.Service.dll. I can reference eBayListing.dll from Access and everything works well on the development machine. On the laptop I registered the eBayListing.dll and eBayService.dll using the visual studio regasm at: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\RegAsm.exe. Both files appear to register as I get the registered message from regasm. I run this as administrator.

When I try to set the reference from the Access application in the VBA refferences I can only see the reference to the file as it was on my development machine. I can tell because it has the path the the bin\debug file. I don't see the version of the dll supposedly registered on the laptop. The file obviously isn't there so I browse to the file on the laptop that is theoretically registered, but get an error.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. 

Thank you for any assistance.

Friday, April 13, 2012 11:30 PM

Answers

• Well, it would seem that the problem was I could not unregister the dll registration that Visual Studio created. I have VS on my laptop also and had worked on this project on that also. When I compiled the project VS registers it. I tried to use regasm to unregister, it said it did but upon checking the registry it was still all over the place. I also removed the VS development files off of the laptop to test the actuall dll and experiment with installation. Access was seeing those references and would not allow me to refer the actual dll that I was trying to use. I cleaned up the registry, opened the Access application browsed to the dll files to be used on installation and it worked fine. Access project compiled. 

It would seem that with Access you don't really need to register the dll, you just need to put it into the Access references list.

More testing to come.

• Marked as answer by Mike Feng Monday, April 16, 2012 7:49 AM
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:28 PM

All replies

• Well, it would seem that the problem was I could not unregister the dll registration that Visual Studio created. I have VS on my laptop also and had worked on this project on that also. When I compiled the project VS registers it. I tried to use regasm to unregister, it said it did but upon checking the registry it was still all over the place. I also removed the VS development files off of the laptop to test the actuall dll and experiment with installation. Access was seeing those references and would not allow me to refer the actual dll that I was trying to use. I cleaned up the registry, opened the Access application browsed to the dll files to be used on installation and it worked fine. Access project compiled. 

It would seem that with Access you don't really need to register the dll, you just need to put it into the Access references list.

More testing to come.

• Marked as answer by Mike Feng Monday, April 16, 2012 7:49 AM
    Saturday, April 14, 2012 8:28 PM
  • Hi DougMurph,

Yes, it exactly is.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:49 AM